• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carolina Wren? *** Updated with pics

MNpurple

Dont post here much but figured some experts would know better. I looked out at my feeder this morning and saw something different between the finches, chickadees, and nuthacthes. I looked closer and it was a wren! Unmistakable with that long pointed head and beak and that erect tail. It had a faint yellow breast with a line through its eye. My bird book says Carolina Wren but that seems very hard to believe. It was not a house wren or a winter wren as it had that plain yellowish breast, but it definitely was a wren.. He must be way off track.

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

MNpurple: Where are you? Carolina wrens nest into central Iowa and southern Wisconsin, and have been recorded as far north as south-central Manitoba. If you're in southern or central MN, you're not too far north of nesting range, and in a mild winter like this one, anything can happen.

You might contact your closest Audubon Society to see if one of their birders might come out, locate and verify the bird's ID and record it.

MNPurple - there was one down in Rochester in Dec. You are in the far northern range but there aren't too many seen in the state each year. If you need someone who might want to come and verify the bird, send me an email [email protected] and I will see if I can get a name. You could put it on the MOU listserve but then might have people wanting to sit at your feeder to see the bird.

We live near Red Wing and had a Carolina Wren spend the winter with us two years ago.It was pretty cool to see this "stranger" at the feeder everyday.We'd always hoped it would come back in following years but,haven't seen it since.

Now updated with pics....

Ok I got some pics, through a window with plastic over it so not good at all but you can see him. I think this is a Carolina Wren? Whatever it is there were 3 at the feeder at the same time today! They never appear to eat much, but they must be getting some food if they are sticking around.

Sure looks like a Carolina to me. The species is non-migratory, so where they breed is where they winter. After mild winters, their ranges tend to expand north. After harsh winters, they contract to the south. And we've had some mild winters lately.