• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which lake would you go to?

eyepatrol

Being the ice down here in southcentral MN is questionable at best (IMO), I'm looking to schedule a trip up north to either LOW or URL. Might be the only time I get out this winter. smirk.gif

Just looking for some feedback as to which of these two places others would suggest going to and why.

Thanks!

Heck man make a weekend of it and hit them both. The LOTW has been good for the past month for pretty much everyone barring a few days here and there. I've only been on URL once so far this winter and them Wally's anyhow were quite cooperative. Maybe spend the day on LOTW and the nite on URL, lots of visiting folks do that.

fiskyknut

I personally would do the LOW trip over Red but you could also look into a combo trip and hit both. I prefer LOW over Red because of the success I have had on one over the other. They both have many things to offer and the fishing can be outstanding on both. IMO for me over the years I have found the bite to be a little more consistent on LOW. What I like to do is rent a 3 day package from any of the Resorts this includes a day house cabin etc. Doing this package alows me to bring minamal gear etc and it can be quite relaxing. Not to be mistaken I have done the run and gun on LOW and (4 wheeler,traps etc) had excellent experiances and will continue to do so but sometimes I have to admit it's a nice vac for me to let someone else do all the groundwork(setting up houses,looking for fish,cutting holes etc.) Shareing a Day house can be a blast especially with friends or family. I will agree the fishing can be tough at times but going this route has let me really enjoy myself even when the fish don't cooperate.

Well...

I just spent a couple days fishing both of those lakes over the Holiday season and had a great time at both.

The simple fact is this...

Walleyes are snapping on both lakes right now.

URL Crappie fishing is pretty much nonexistant at the moment.

For the extra hour drive, Lake of the Woods is going to let you take a home a more generous limit of fish.

Have Fun! Fish 'em both!

Quote:

Maybe spend the day on LOTW and the nite on URL, lots of visiting folks do that.

I like to do at least one trip per year that way.

BUT

When I get a hankerin' for burbots, it's the other way around.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! This would be a trip where me and one or two other guys would look to rent a sleeper, kick back, have our fair share and do some fishing in the process. wink.gif I think LOTW will be on the menu, so I'll head to that forum for further info.

Thanks again!