• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installing Tracks on my 700 sportsmen

Catmendo

My decision to install a set of tracks on my 700 Sportsmen couldn't have been more timely. The huge Colorado Low that swepted through the upper mid west dumped approx. fifteen inches of much needed snow throughout southern Manitoba! (Thank-you Coloradogrin.gif)

Once again I have a lot of field testing planned for massive Lake Winnipeg this winter which quickly becomes impossible to navigate without the right equiptment. Polaris's ATV Track System will see me through! wink.gif

Cat, I am also shopping for my first ATV and tracks. I Have not decided on brands yet. Why did you choose the Polaris track system. I am mainly going to be using it for ice fishing on ice and snow but would like the ability to use it for deer hunting on land if the need ever arises. Thanks for any input you or other may add.

Quote:

Cat, I am also shopping for my first ATV and tracks. I Have not decided on brands yet. Why did you choose the Polaris track system. I am mainly going to be using it for ice fishing on ice and snow but would like the ability to use it for deer hunting on land if the need ever arises. Thanks for any input you or other may add.

Although the machine can be and is used sparingly during non-winter months, I purchased the Polaris primarily with ice fishing in mind. I decided on the Polaris track system simply because I have faith in Polaris, they known for building quality products. Also after talking to others who own and operate this system they have nothing but positive things to say about it.

Hey Cat....my brother has those tracks on his Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6. I don't know....I've gotten it stuck numerous times in the snow. The thing is a tank and goes through mud and climbs over logs, etc like nothing, but I'm not sure I'd buy one for ice fishing.

Ahh....his is different. He's got one single track that goes around all three wheels on each side. That system you got there kind of looks like the Mattracks that they make over in Karlstad, MN.

Quote:

Catmendo, I would like to see what your machine looks like with the tracks if you get the chance to post some pictures. In the meantime, have fun blazing through all that snow.

I'll be more than happy to post a performance report with pic's as soon as the system has been installed and I have had the opportunity to put it through it's paces! Like I had

previously stated, we got hammered up here with snow over the weekend! In order to get around on Lake Winnipeg now, it's snow-cats or ATV's equipped with a track system!

Here's the latest. I will have the track system installed sometime nextweek. As soon as I have the opportunity to put the system through its paces I will be happy to post some feedback, in fact I'll be more than happy too!

One thing for sure....I can't begin to tell you how happy I'll be once the system has been installed. Yesterday a trip out onto Lake Winniepg proved to be very difficult as I ended up getting seriously stuck in deep snow or not so hard drifts on four separate occasions. Luckily for me there were enough guys in the group who bailed me out by pushing my Sportsman....whew! tongue.gif Once the system is installed, I plan to increase my efforts in exploring massive Lake Winnipeg's walleye and pike fishery! To catch fish with any consistancy

on the lake one not only has to be versitile from an angling perspective, one also has to be extremely mobil. The Polaris track system will provide the mobility I have been seeking!

I'm running the Mattracks on my machine. If your only going to use tracks in the winter you can get by using a cheaper brand then Mattracks. Ther are a few different brands that are set up for running in the snow only.

Like I have said before, just because you have tracks on your machine, doesn't not make it a snowmobile in the eyes of the MN DNR. And to be truethfull once its tracked up it isn't an ATV anymore eather (In the eyes of the DNR). Gotta love MN.

Quote:

Like I have said before, just because you have tracks on your machine, doesn't not make it a snowmobile in the eyes of the MN DNR. And to be truethfull once its tracked up it isn't an ATV anymore eather (In the eyes of the DNR). Gotta love MN.

It is interesting that you mention this. I was going to go with tracks UNTIL I talked to my local Conservation Officer yesterday. He says the the law states that in order to be an ATV it needs to have 4 tires. Once you remove the tires and install tracks on an ATV it becomes an off road vehicle. The problem is that Minnesota states that you must, and I need to read the rules to see exactly how it is worded but it is either, have or wear a seat belt. Has anyone talked to their local CO about this? He also stated that you cannot ride it in the bottom of a road ditch like an ATV, or on snowmobile or atv trails, and you cannot drive them in the side of the road like an off road vehicle. Leave it to the lawmakers to make a mess of everything.

Quote:

Quote:

It is interesting that you mention this. I was going to go with tracks UNTIL I talked to my local Conservation Officer yesterday. He says the the law states that in order to be an ATV it needs to have 4 tires. Once you remove the tires and install tracks on an ATV it becomes an off road vehicle. The problem is that Minnesota states that you must, and I need to read the rules to see exactly how it is worded but it is either, have or wear a seat belt. Has anyone talked to their local CO about this? He also stated that you cannot ride it in the bottom of a road ditch like an ATV, or on snowmobile or atv trails, and you cannot drive them in the side of the road like an off road vehicle. Leave it to the lawmakers to make a mess of everything.

"If" the State of Minnesota calls for mandatory use of a seat belt when an ATV is equipted with tracks that would have to be considered absurd! Just imagine the outcome "if" someone operating a track driven ATV accidently broke through the ice while wearing a seat belt! This would greatly reduce the odds of getting free of the machine in time to make it to safety! I find it hard to comprehend this ruling if in fact it is law! I would like to hear others opinion on this topic...

Cat, I agree with you 100 percent. It is absurd!!! That being said I picked up the regulations today. On page 36 of the Minnesota off-highway regulations 2006-2007 it states "All ORV passangers and operators must wear seat belts". Page 5-6 state that an ATV must have at least three but not more than six low pressure tires. Once you take the tires off and put tracks on it becomes an ORV or off road vehicle. I am going to contact some dealers of tracks and see if they are putting any pressure on our legislators to put some common sense back into our laws.

Waska, I hope others will assist you in putting pressure on state regulator's and that you're not left tending to this extremely important subject on your own. This is far to serious an issue for one to go it alone, besides we're all aware that there's strength in numbers! IMO it almost seems like the those who make the rules never put much thought or emphases into the what if's! Although this isn't my fight, please keep us posted anyway and good-luck!

Quote:

Cat, I agree with you 100 percent. It is absurd!!! That being said I picked up the regulations today. On page 36 of the Minnesota off-highway regulations 2006-2007 it states "All ORV passangers and operators must wear seat belts". Page 5-6 state that an ATV must have at least three but not more than six low pressure tires. Once you take the tires off and put tracks on it becomes an ORV or off road vehicle. I am going to contact some dealers of tracks and see if they are putting any pressure on our legislators to put some common sense back into our laws.

There are WAYS around that law though (PAGE WILL COME UP SAYING YOU CANT VEIW IT, JUST REFRESH THE PAGE AND YOU WILL BE GOOD) note tires on the front of my machine. no place in the law does it describe what a low preasure flotation tire is, nor does it say where on your machine they have to be.

I hate to get on a rant, but what the heck. I cut and pasted this from another sight I hang on. We were talking about tracks there also. I would post a link but I think linking is frowned opon when they go to someonelses web sight. This is pertains to tracked ATV's VRS Sleds.

NOTE Add tracks to your ATV and you have an OHV. SEE DEFINTIONS BELOW. However last time I looked in the regs no where does it actuly say what the definition is of a low preasure tire, nor does it say where on the machine they have to be.

When I had asked the MN DNR about ATV's tracks and sled trails they stopped answering my e-mails, Here is why... I was told I can't register my machine as a sled and drive on the trails with tracks on the front. SEE DEFINTIONS BELOW. I know a guy with a sports quad, he puts paddle tires on the back and ski's on the front and registers it as a snow machine..... He can rooster a groomed snow trail like there is no tomarow, and is legal. Tracks on the front not legal. Now metal traction devices as they pertain to snowmachines are a no-no on certain trails, if you have them on TRACKS. SEE DEFINTIONS BELOW. So Legaly he could ride his modded sportquad on a sled trail that was paved so bikers can ride it in the summer for free. (where did the $$$ come from for the asphalt) So anyway what ended my e-mails with the DNR brass is when I pointed out to them all the holes in their sled laws and how stupid it was that I couldn't register my tracked machine to ride the sled trails. In my last e-mail I said..."So according to the way your laws are written, my tracked ATV would not be legal, but an old yellow 66 passenger school buss (snowbuss) with ski's on the front and chains on the rear duallys would be perfectly legal to take down the Munger trail through Jay Cooke. Do you have the snowmobile bridges posted with a max weight? Because if you dont and I were to get hurt by a bridge giving way on a snowmobile trail, I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem finding a lawyer to represent me in court against the state."

84.92 Definitions

Subd. 8. All-terrain vehicle. "All-terrain vehicle"

or "vehicle" means a motorized flotation-tired vehicle of not

less than three low pressure tires, but not more than six tires,

that is limited in engine displacement of less than 800 cubic

centimeters and total dry weight less than 900 pounds. (PRIOR TO THE CLASS I/II CHANGE)

( THIS WOULD ALSO INCLUDE RIDING LAWN MOWERS . Did anyone inform the city of Duluth this?)

84.797 Definitions

Subd. 6. Off-road. "Off-road" means on trails or

nonpublic roads or for cross-country travel on natural terrain.

For purposes of sections 84.797 to 84.805, nonpublic roads

include state forest roads, county forest roads, and other roads

and trails that are not operated by a public road authority as defined in section 160.02, subdivision 25.

Subd. 7. Off-road vehicle. "Off-road vehicle" or

"vehicle" means a motor-driven recreational vehicle capable of

cross-country travel on natural terrain without benefit of a

road or trail. Off-road vehicle does not include a snowmobile;

84.81 Definitions Subd. 3

Snowmobile. "Snowmobile" means a self-propelled vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice steered by skis or runners.

84.81 Definitions Subd. 13

Metal traction device. "Metal traction

device" means any metal device or array of metal devices

attached to a snowmobile track to enhance traction that is:

(1) made of metal, except that metal cleats affixed

perpendicular to the direction of travel of a snowmobile track

which was manufactured in 1981 or earlier shall not be

considered a metal traction device; or

(2) affixed to a snowmobile track with metal components

that extend more than one-fourth inch from the bottom of the track.

Rant off.