• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike Spearing??

So i've been reading about other states such as Minn and N.Dakota that spear pike through the ice. I am wondering why Wisconsin hasn't implemented such a sport. This looks to be alot of fun and I'd love to try it out. Though non residents can't participate in the other states, I think this is something that should be brought up and introduced to the legislature to see where it goes. I don't see this as something everyone and their brother will be doing, but it's just another introduction to a different way of harvesting fish. What does everyone else think of this idea??? Like to see some discussion.

TightLines,

GatorBait

I would disagree somewhat with to many trophys being harvested. Granted once they are taken they can't be released like if caught on a hook.

One thing is we a limit of one fish over 30". We also have a pile of lakes that have protected slots and special regs to boot. Any designated muskie lake is off limits to spearing, I guess the DNR thinks were blind and can't tell the difference tween them and a northern. Not every fish that is seen in a spear hole has a spear chucked at it either. Yes I'm sure some guys do spear everything that comes into the hole. Those are the same type of people who would keep every fish they caught on a line too. I have watched many fish over 30" in my hole and never threw a spear. Just pull my decoy up quick when they're gonna grab it, they can get really worked up. Last yr. had one in the hole nearly five minutes playing cat and mouse. I know many other spearers who just watch also.

These are the reasons that I'd dissagree.