• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stihl brush cutter ????

MIKE IN lINO III

I hit a tree with the brush cutter and now the blade doesn't turn. I took the gear box (?) off the shaft and when I turn the blade the spindle inside the box turns. The spindle is not twisted or broke and looks like a machined end. I took it to the local hardware store and they said that I broke the shaft but they didn't get off their fat a$$ to even look at it. They said that I need to buy a new one. I don't have a problem with that I just want to get a second or third opinion. Like I said the shaft doesn't look twisted and broke.

Any ideas??

Stihl FS 90 AV

Mike

Mike,

You may want to check with another dealer who knows what they are talking about. I am a golf course superintendent and have puchased many types of brush cutters, chain saws, etc. I had the shaft break on a Stihl FS80 brush cutter a few years ago and that model had a shaft guaranteed for life. They replaced it for free including labor, so you may want to check into it. As far as buying a new one, Stihl is junk. Go with a Jonsrud or Efco...they are great machines!

Hope this helps, Justin

LOL!! Stihl is junk?!? Are you kidding me?

I would definately get a second opinion. The brush cutter you have is definately not big enough to handle tree duty so I hope it was an accident. Anyway, I've never had a shaft break, but we did cause damage in the gear box of a 550 brush cutter. Biting off more than we could chew with a dull blade. Buckthorn will do that.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with the Stihl, just make sure you've got enough machine for the task. Any equally sized Johns or Echo would've suffered the same fate. I only know of shops in the west and SW metro. I see you're up north and east a bit. MPLS Saw in Columbia Hts is pretty good. Sorry I can't be more help.

Believe me, the Stihl saws and brush cutters have all ended up in the bone yard long before any Jonsered, Husky, or Efco (not Echo) machines that I have bought. Sthil stuff is cheesy. I am convinced the Efco is the toughest brush saw made. It is practically indestructible-check them out at: www2.emak.it I have had the Efco machines for years and never had them in the shop.

Take Care,

Justin

Quote:

I hit a tree with the brush cutter and now the blade doesn't turn. I took the gear box (?) off the shaft and when I turn the blade the spindle inside the box turns. The spindle is not twisted or broke and looks like a machined end. I took it to the local hardware store and they said that I broke the shaft but they didn't get off their fat a$$ to even look at it. They said that I need to buy a new one. I don't have a problem with that I just want to get a second or third opinion. Like I said the shaft doesn't look twisted and broke.

Any ideas??

Stihl FS 90 AV

Mike

Mike - Take it to LTG Power Equipement in Vadnais Heights. They're just south of Hwy 96 on Centerville Road.

They'll absolutely take care of you. They're a commercial equipment dealer and will have the parts on hand to fix it.

Although, now that I say that, they'll probably say they have to order parts... that's the way it usually goes.... grin.gif

LTG was able to get me one but it was the wrong size. After I gave them the model number they called Stihl and said it was 1985-86 model and that they could send the right one in. I haven't heard from them in a week so maybe I'll call them.

I'm not the original owner nor is my father so I don't think the warrenty would apply.

Thanks,

Mike

I understand now !! It's not the newer model FS90. It's the old model. That has to say something for Stihl !! 20 YEARS OLD !!!!!!!! Wty. may not apply....LOL !! I'm sure there are some old FS90s out there for used parts as few will throw an old Stihl away. wink.gif