• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is devils lake clear enough for an aqua vu?

The timber is everywhere so it is deep and shallow. Once you get out there you will realize just how much this body of water has grown it is amazing. I would start out in water in the 15-20 foot range by trees and see what it produces. Although the shallow water can be darn good too. There is plenty of water there so you shouldn't have to bunch up with others fishing there is plenty of area to spread out on and have your own area to fish.

Also in North Dakota you can use 4 lines thru the ice and 2 during open water season. So you could try fishing 2 rods in your shack or whaterver and put a tip up shallow in the timber and put another out deeper. We pulled some nice fish off tip ups as shallow as 6ft.

You should have no problem using your camera on Devils Lake. YOu will definetly want to use it in the flooded timber to see what kind of mess you are fishing around. Sometimes you hole lookes clean by your electronics but you put your camera down and your jig is between a clump of bushes that fish cant get too. Its amazing what you will see on your camera in the flooded timber. Its an awesome site to see how walleyes use the trees for cover when there feeding.

Jeff Dosch

www.doschguides.com

I might be heading up that way Jan. 19th-21st. If not that weekend probably the following one. A buddy of mine has an uncle that lives on Devils Lake. He has been talking about going up there soon, we just have to set the date. I can't wait though, its a fun lake to fish.

The easiest way to find the old roads is to look around... most roads are section lines which means they're spaced 1 mile - look for the road that leads into the lake... it'll be straight N / S or E/W from where the road leads into the lake.

As far as fishing in the wood - all of the above...

marine_man

it is possible to find a road with trees on both sides. if you dont want to lose much tackle check the holes with your cam, vex, marcum, or lowrance. if you get a tree in your hole just move over a LITTLE bit. the camera can tell you exactly what type of bottom you are fishing.

There are lost of farm steads under water. There is alot of water to fish beside the old road they are just one are to key on. There is tons of rip rap along the existing road up there and below the existing rip rap is more rip rap from previous road level. That is another are to work. The flats can produce at the right time of the year too. Fishing around the timber should yield some fish too.

Made it to Devil's the 19th - 22nd. We did a lot better than last year. Walleye and jumbo perch were biting. My buddies uncle who lives up there and his friends helped us around the lake and tried to keep us on fish. Jigging Raps, frostee spoons, demon spoons, and buckshots all worked, tipped with a head of a fathead or the whole minnow. There was also some success using waxies.