• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hounds

Cooter

I run Coyotes all winter with a group of guys and hounds. We run a bluetick and 4 walkers. Waiting for snow the dogs and the guys are getting ansy!!!! I love hunting with hounds (coyotes,bobcats and coon) I personally wish there was more talk about it on this Forum.

Icehawk - that yote hunting with hounds is a blast ain't it? Bear hunting might be a close second...bobcats, coons, yep its all good stuff. We got 3 bobcats last weekend but are in need of more snow now. Once the end of the year rolls around it will be all yotes! We have a bunch of guys in our group and a shortage of good hounds has never been a problem. BTW - I'm a bluetick fan but have seen really good hounds from all lines. Later.

Northwest Minnesota Houndsmen Association

If your interested in Coonhound hunting, Coonhound Showing & other hunting with Hounds. Come Join the fun!! Meet other hound handlers in the area and earn Points towards UKC Titles. Spectators always welcome!!

Shows, Hunts & Water Races are located near Fosston, MN:

January 13th Annual Meeting Uncle Bob in Fosston, MN 6:30pm.

March 24th Show

May 4th Hunt

May 5th Show and Hunt

Sept. 14th Hunt

Sept. 15th Show & hunt

For more information Contact Susie Olson 218-926-5223

or Brian Hoffman 218-243-2580.

COME JOIN THE FUN!!

Had a coon hound nut from Iowa up last night and I told him good luck on treeing a coon - well they treed one! I told him to get his dogs in shape for a real hunt - just givin him some friendly joshin....and get ready for yotes! He's got English coonhounds and drives half way across the nation for breeding materials blush.gif I thought WI had rednecks til I met him! grin.gif

Up nort! More specifically we hunt between Winter and Clam Lake. No problem finding tracks/jumping cats - killing one was tough as usually although we did get 3 in two days(our best, last year was tough). I couldn't believe the amount of tracks in some of those spruce swamps. I mean, big tracks, little tracks, old tracks, new tracks, tracks on durn near every fallen log. I really hope the boys are up for one more run, season ends Dec 31.

Hound wise we have pretty much all species covered although I have never hunted with a black and tan or cur. Fair amount of Sandberg blueticks out of Durand, WI and also a mix of Ouschman(sp?) blueticks out of Idaho and some Cameron(sp?) from out West as well. Bought a pair of running walkers out of Missouri and was not impressed - we have a group from Missouri come up every year for bear season and they have some nice plotts. Nothing cooler looking than a big, brindle plott!

Funny how hounds have individual personalities just like people - and how they can do so well one day and the next are worthless.

I didn't bear hunt much this year but the crew treed a ton, I'll get the final tally and post it - they ran out of tags in a hurry and actually put an ad in the paper looking for more tagholders!

Real soon I need to get out West and get me a lion! Later.

Anyone out there running Beagles? Used to run cottontails in southern MN. Moved to nothern MN a few years back and found snowshoe paradise. Public land all over just crawling with snowshoe hare and nobody running them. This same land is backed up with bird doggers at every trail head all fall, and woods full of deer hunters in Nov, then deserted for the rest of the winter. Everyone I know up here has a bird dog, waiting for the grouse to cycle back, but mention beagles and they think it's a joke.

Never hunted snowshoes with beagles but I think it would be awesome! Have had a few beagles in on yote chases....a guy I know has a couple bluetick/beagles and when pups they were the cutest thing ever!

I have not hunted with any type of cur but I know a guy who hunts coon with them and does very well. I like the looks of them and hope to hunt with one someday....a squirrel hunt with one on plenty of land to roam would be sweet!

All that I know, is that she has one HECK of a nose on her and some good eyes. She's just a little nuts (understatment).

Do you happen to know anyone that trains them?!?!?!? They've definitely got a personality of their own? I've got basic obedience down, or I thought? When she gets excited, she's out of control...no stopping her. She likes to growl at new people in the house (mostly males), but I guess that's in their nature.....Hmmmmm. What to do?

I've never hunted with hounds, but I'm really interested in learning more about the sport. Maybe some of you can keep a thread going on here so us wannabe's can hear your stories. I don't think I can make it to that meeting in Fosston tomorrow, but I'll try for the one in March.

Blackwater,

I'm the one who posted earlier about running beagles. Based on the lack of response the are very few, as I suspected, running snowshoes with beagles. If you have some interest in hounds beagles are an excellent place to start. They are relatively easy keepers compared to the larger breeds. And as I stated in the earlier post there is tremendous opportunity. 1000's of acres of good snowshoe habitat on public land with hardly anyone to compete with. And a very long season running from mid Sept-end of Feb.

A word of caution though. If you choose to get a beagle for hunting don't just go out and buy one anywhere. There are plenty of pet breeders out there. That is fine but if you want a hunter make sure you get one from good hunting stock.

Cooter you lucky dog we got only a dusting in central mn. I don't know how long I an handle this lack of snow. We definately haven't put the hurt to the yotes yet. Mother nature better start cooperateing with us coyote hunters and houndsmen soon!!!

what are hounds like when not hunting? Are they really high strung, Do they have to be always tied up or kennele? I do a lot of coon trapping and would like to get into running them with a hound, but need to know a little more about their behavior before I get one. Thanks for the help!!

We've got a yard full of hounds and use them to chase bear, cats, and yotes. We used to do a bit of coon hunting, but now we take that time in the fall to hunt ducks and deer.

Hunting yotes depends on what the snow conditions are like. With only a small amount of snow, most yotes are shot out in front of the dogs (sometimes a long ways). If you get deep snow the dogs will bay up the coyote, and then the hunter goes in an dispatches it. Some hunters will let the yote go to run another day too, just depends on the population.

Hounds generally are a laid back type dog. Young ones are a bit more rammy, but once they get older they settle down. That is unless you go to load them up to go hunting. They still need to be kenneled or tied up, otherwise they will most likely wander off and go hunt.

Finally we got some snow to run on, hopefully it holds out till the weekend. The forecast says we might get another shot on Thurs, that would be prime for the weekend.

Cooter, did you guys shoot the cats on the swing(running) or tree them up. It was a tough year for cats and we got our butts handed to us. A few chances but not like years past. I heard of a few being harvested, but not much. We had to put on a lot of miles to get decent conditions.

Of the four we got when I was along only one was treed and that bugger(42lbs) actually jumped from one tree to the next when my bud peppered him...he likely was getting ready to bail. The other 2 were shot on the move, the third the dogs killed - why he didn't go up a tree is beyond all of us, but it happened. That one was 26lbs.

Right after Christmas they got 3 more, I don't know any details. This was by far our groups best year, we've had it handed to us many times before.

For the question on keeping hounds, you have to keep them tied/kenneled cuz if they're any good they'll be out hunting if you don't!

Most are mild tempered...I have an Amish buddy and his little kids pet and feed all his dogs, including a 90+ pound Plott bear hound. Another bud of mine had a bluetick he never got trained so it became a 'house' dog and was the biggest baby you ever saw. Out camping he'd try to sneak in bed with ya about 4 times a night!

Its ON tomorrow! First 'yote hunt of the season - sounds like we're gonna have a small army out. Will be interesting to see how the hounds do - I've said it before, they can look great one day and the next not worth two dead flies. Later.

Just read a very interesting, but disturbing article in the Feb addition of Outdoor Life magazine. It described in graphic detail a wolf attack on a pack of hounds. These are not isolated incedents with 95 bear hounds having been killed in Wis. Seems like a pretty serious problem.

Well indeed we had a small army out Saturday. Had enough guys that we had three separated groups hunting. Of course, the group I was with didn't do squat other than several long cold trail attempts that never got anything jumped. Each of the other groups killed yotes.