• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking about making the jump...

chucker34

... into the world of traditional muzzleloading. I've been doing my research and listening to some good advice on this board and decided I wanted to buy a percussion model Hawken rifle. I was thinking about getting a .50 caliber from Cabela's, but then, I went to the gunsmith today. Was there to have him look at my Grandpa's old Stevens 12 guage, which they're going to reblue and check over for me. Been sitting in my Grandma's basement for 30 plus years.

Anyway, I asked him if he sold traditional muzzleloaders and he said he actually had a Hawken in stock. He pulled off the shelf and it was beautiful. Nice wood and metal work. He told me it's a used .45 caliber Thomson Hawken that his friend owned. It came with the buckskin sling and a "starters kit" of sorts that included everything I need to get started. The price - $335.

Now, I think that's a good deal. Would cost me $600-$700 new at least. The gunsmith is very reputable. I trust his word when he says, you can buy a new Hawken somewhere else for a little less, but you won't get the quality of the Thompson.

I believe that as well. One thing that concerns me is that its a .45 and not a .50 or .54. But a lot of people have told me that a .45 will shoot somewhat flatter at longer distances and is lethal enough to take a deer with a well placed shot.

Any thoughts on this deal or the caliber for deer?

Nothing to worry about in harvesting deer with the .45 cal. I bought the .45 several years ago and have shot at least 1 deer each year since. More times than not I have dropped them in their tracks. Just one at over 120 yds is the only one that didn't drop. Sighted at 75 I thought I'd aim a couple of inches high, thinking the bullet would drop a bit. I hit just where I aimed catching the tops of the lungs allowing her to run a short distance. I wouldn't be afraid to hunt elk with it but I think legally you need .50 cal. for elk.

Think of it this way....A person that is shooting a sabot out of a 50 cal is shooting a 45 cal bullet. So, there is not much difference as long as you stay with a round ball or a maxi ball of some sort.

As far as a 45 cal being faster. I think the new inline 45 cals can be loaded with magnum loads to make them faster so it does not necessarily reflect on the traditional guns.

Just put the round in the boiler room and you will be fine.

Kind of a new guy here, but I'm glad to hear of someone else gettin into the old schoolers! I've had a Cabela's Hawken 50 cal for 15 years and that thing shoots better every year! A neighbor kid bought a new one from Cabela's this fall and the rear sight is WAY loose, I ditched mine years ago for a more primative one. Something to watch for if you go with the Cabela's. As for a 45, I just got one last year but haven't used it yet but my Mother-in-law has for years and she's taken deer with it. Shot placement is EVERYTHING with these guns and round balls.

Also if you go with a used Muzzy you have to be VERY careful and inspect the bore! How it was taken care of during it's life will impact its performance. I bought one from an aquaintace and it would not pattern at all! Cleaned it with everything under the sun for 10 hours straight then it finally came around. He shot maxi's in it and 100+ grains of powder and it filled the grooves with lead that had to come out!

Good luck with either gun!

Shoot straight and keep your powder dry!!!!

Kenny

Chucker,

Good choice going with a new one for your fist trip into the primative scene! Won't be as many problems as with a used one! The thought that more is better doesn't apply to traditional muzzy's. IE powder, lead... You have to find out what the GUN LIKES TO SHOOT!!! And you can only do that by putting rounds thru it! Don't get to freaked if it won't pattern by adjusting sites, adjust the amount of powder also. A good starting point would be 1 grain of powder per caliber, Ie... 55 grains for a 54 cal. Also make sure the total diameter of patch thickness and Ball diameter is .005 larger than the caliber of the gun. I shoot .490 balls and .015 thick patches with 50 grains of powder in my 50 cal.

Maybe I have gone on too much for ya but alot of guns are bought then sold cuz guys couldn't get them to work right and went to the inlines cuz they are EASIER!

If you need any help drop me a line! I'll do my best!

Later,

Kenny