• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Columbia river

Anyone ever do the Prespawn Walleye run here. It has always been one of my dream trips. Talk about some huge Walleye's.

When does it usually happen? March/April? What kind of weather is happening there at that time?

A good place to find those answers an more for the Columbia is [northwest Walleye.com] good forum an pics with reports for most streches of the river. Want to do that one myself someday. people use to think of walleye as trash fish on that river .But some people have picked up on the worth of Walleye,an dont just target Salmon,trout,Bass, an Super large sturgeon anymore. grin.gif

BDR, hey not sure if you are still looking for info on the Columbia??? I'm in NY now but lived in spokane for 6 years prior. And we did some serious winter/spring walleye fishin'!! it is to say the least... phenominal fishing on the Columbia. The best i've ever had. And i live a stones throw form Onieda and lake Erie now. We started fishing them in Dec/Jan,but the best is Late feb/march, Ofcourse weather depending. Usually pretty cold and Icy. but as long as the ramp was open, we'd go. we would fish the Main river above the Spokane arm and in the arm till it's closure for the spawn. Plenty of fish and big ones too!! I believe the limit was 5, 1 over 20.... and we could have a hard time finding them under 20. My best was a 9.5 and biggest for my boat was a 10.5. Plenty of fish in the 3 to 8 lb range and our group would release every female that was a spawner. I'm sure some guys would keep those 10's but why? I have friends out there thathave caught them up to 16.

Well if you are looking for more info post back!! good fishing and tight lines!

man o man! I used to live in Portland, Oregon, right next to the columbia. Bonneville Dam was my home waters! Never did get into the walleye thing there...and i regret it so bad! Always fished for salmon, sturgeons and shad! Shad come in by the millions! AKA Sturgeon Candy. Now i wish i could go back for them glasseyes! Weather is usually rainy. But there will be breaks

just got back from portland.!!!man that oversize sturgeon fishing is incredible.im in the proccess of looking to see what type of work is out there.im addicted to them giantsand am ready to move there in a minute.

So far this year 3 Walleye have came into my boat over 10 pounds. This area is fantastic, Im gonna miss it, and return 1 week a year.

This fish was caught on a hand-tied spinner rig, 11 pounds of serious Walleye. Not bad for post spawn weight!

decoys017it2.jpg

In my last few weeks I've caught a 9-1/4 lb and a 10 lb. walleye from the Columbia. After recently moving here to Washington I think it's pretty awesome, but to some of the local walleye fisherman out here, those size fish don't hardly raise an eyebrow. My neighbor and his boy caught 2 fish both over 17 lbs. on the same day just below the McNary Dam in March. It's slow fishing then, but if you get one there's a pretty good chance it's going to be a good one. The fishing is good now, but the monsters usually come in Feb. & March. Check out northwestwalleye.com and take a look at the new record caught this year (19.3 lbs) a couple miles above the McNary Dam. Pretty awesome fish!