• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beginner's Muzzleloader

chucker34

I posted previously about building or buying a traditional muzzleloader and got lot of great advice. But as someone who's never owned a muzzleloader, I'm starting to think I should begin with a modern one and see if I like it before going traditional.

I have investigated the NEF sidekick and only heard positive things on this site and others. Several separate and reputable reviews I read said it was hard to beat for the money in its class and one of the more accurate shooting muzzleloaders period.

But I have also heard a few pitfalls such as a cheap, hard to use telescoping ramrod and that the little discs to insert the primers turn some prospective buyers off. Still, those seem like minor things. You could buy a new ramrod, but would it fit?

Anyway, I'm looking to go middle of the road with my first purchase so I don't want to upgrade in two or three years. Any other suggestions other than the NEF sidekick or comments on this rifle itself?

If I go with the NEF, I'm thinking of shelling out the extra $$$ for the stainless steel model. Hear they're easier to clean? Any truth to it? Plus, I have a Cabelas' gift card and coupon, which will help bring the price down to not much more than the blued model.

Hey, if you are going to cabelas, or are looking at the muzzys at cabelas......make sure that you check out the CVAs, more importantly the CVA optima pro! 29" barrel....one of the longest on the market........EXTREMELY accurate. You can get the blue/black optima pro for $240 without scope, easy to clean and EASY to use. Well at least thats my 2 cents worth.