• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LAB SWOLLEN HEAD

deerhuntr8

I have a black Lab. When I woke up on Saturday to let the dogs outside I noticed her melon was VERY swollen. She seemed and acted normally otherwise. The swelling has gone down substantially since yesterday. Anyone know what the

%@&* happened to my dog , or anyone else ever run into this. Thanks.

This has happened a couple of times to my lab Maggie. After taking her to the vet the first time we were told that it was probably an allergic reaction. Most likely a bee sting or insect bite. Benadryl was prescribed and the swelling went down very quickly. I now make sure that I have Benadryl in Maggie's first aid kit.

I am not sure what type of insects might be around at this time, but I would bet it is sometype of allergic reaction.

Sounds like she is doing better, good luck.

any chance you got her a new dog bed with different type of stuffing? they can be allergic to some of that stuff and if they tear up a new bed they can get some stuffing ingested and that may cause the reaction? any sores inside the mouth or ears? any ticks? any bad teeth? Just ideas.

My lab had a severe swollen paw last season....took her to the vet and found that she had gotten a puncture wound and it was very infected. If your dog shows sigs of being fatigued or not having energy, be careful with it in case it is some type of infection.

My 2 year old english springer had the same thing happen just after I brushed her teeth. I had used a new toodpaste I got from one of the big box pet stores. Nothing wrong with the toothpaste, it was just that my dog had a reaction to it. I took her to the vet and she got a shot of benedryl and a bottle of pills. You need to take the dog to the vet because the dog's blood vessels in the ears can also be affected which can cause problems in the future. My dog required the vessels to be lanced.