• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil drain plug for 500 Sportsman

puddleduck

This may be kind of a dumb question, but I purchased a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. I was going to change oil yesterday. Could not determine where the oil plug was. Is it the bolt type plug coming off the side of the belly by the drive shaft? Any help would be appreciated. I hate to remove bolts without know what they are.

First off, if you don't have an owners manual yet, I would try and get my hands on one. Are you trying to change engine oil? If so, if your '03 is anything like my '01, the engine oil drain plug is on the resevoir in front of the oil filter on the left side of the engine. Right behind the front tire. If I recall, you just turn out the plug and drain the oil, and then I believe there is a plug on the very bottom of the engine that you access through the belly pan. This drains out what is left in the sump. Hope this helps.

JEV

I have the Owners Manual that comes with the machine, which is of no help at all. It does not show where it is. I don't believe mine is the same. My understanding is that some years and models have the oil reservoir that you describe. I do not think that is the case with mine. I had it up on a ramp yesterday and there is no plug coming out of the bottom. There is the one bolt that looks like an oil plug that is ont he side at the bottom. I am wondering if that is the one. Thanks for the info, I will look again, but I believe it is as I have said.

All 400, 450 and 500's are the same. They are dry sump engines with an oil reservoir behind the front wheel. The reservoir is where the oil fill and dip stick is. There is a drain plug on the bottom of that and one on the bottom of the engine that will only drain about a cup of oil that is left in the bottom of the engine. The owners manual shows where the plugs are and how much to add.