• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electrcal Problems, Skandik

gunflint

We have a 99 Ski-Do Skandik Super Wide Track that we use almost exclusively for packing ski trails. I pull an 80# drag behind it. Anyway the headlight burns out after a few minutes. This happened twice. I was told to change the voltage regulator, so I did. I went through 2 of those. (and they're not cheap!) This started last season. The sled started up fine over the summer but now that I'm using it again it seems like the battery is charging sometimes and sometimes I have to pull start it. Any ideas? Thanks.

The snowmobile alternator will keep producing higher and higher voltage with increased RPM until the regulator controls it. Most lighting problems are cause by voltage spikes. They happen too fast for the regulator to catch sometimes and the result is blown light bulbs. Voltage spikes can occur from something as simple as a loose connection. Usually this is from a poor ground or possibly broken wire. Often times I have found them where the harness flexes when opening the hood, or have been pinched or rubbed through in the same area. It could be at the battery itself or on a frame or motor ground. In addition to the regulator, the battery itself is a regulator of sorts by acting as a cushion for spiking voltage. Since you are having starting issues too, I would check and clean the battery connections first. Its also possible the battery itself is going bad and has an internal short that could be causing the voltage spikes. If you have another battery (maybe out of an ATV or different snowmobile) you could try it with that to eliminate that possibility without having to buy one. Let us know what you find if anything!