• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Books about training a lab

nater

I will be getting a lab puppy near the end of this year and I was looking for some good books or other info on training my new puppy. It is my first time training a dog and I will use him for pheasant and duck hunting. So a book that has great ways of training hunting basics would be perfect. If it has good information on obedience training that would be helpful also, since this will all be a first. I am so excited!!

Thanks for any help,

Nater

I agree w/ nitebite... I'm working with Game Dog w/ my 11 week old lab currently. This is my first pup to self-train (or attempt to) and the book is very simple, straightforward, and takes you through the whole process, from 7 weeks old and on, step-by-step. I too plan to use my lab for pheasants as well as ducks, so I'm starting w/ Game Dog and have also purchased Water Dog (same author). From what I understand, Game Dog is more of an overview for both and Water Dog goes more in-depth w/ some of the skills needed for effective duck hunting / recovery.

nater,

I am a first time trainer myself and my pup is 20 weeks old. Been working with her since I got her and it is both work and fun all at the same time. I can't wait until hunting season 2007! I have 2 DVD's if you would like to borrow them & I live in St. Cloud as well. I have Waterdog by Wolters & Gun Dog Training Retrievers by Ken Roebuck. I got both of them online at a much more reasonable price than what you could get them in a store for. If anything, maybe in the future we can share ideas, tips, or training info. Shoot me an email if you would like. [email protected]

Mike Lardy's training videos and manuals are great. He is a field trial trainer, but the drills he uses will give you a GREAT gun dog. In my opinion, they are much better than some of the books that have already been mentioned. Just do a search on his name to find his HSOforum.

Hey thanks for your input. I will check out some books and DVD's online this weekend. I better start reading up on it now before he is running around tearing stuff up. Thanks again!

I definately reccomend Smartwork by Evan Graham... and 10 minute retriever by the dahl's... two excellent books for training a lab... I've been very happy with the results.

If you do decide to go with Wolters please don't hold yourself to his timetable... it's a bit advanced... you need to be paced by the dog, not by a book.

Enjoy your pup first and foremost... and only a couple of retrieves per day... put him/her up wanting more and you'll be in good shape!

marine_man

I picked up Game Dog and I think I a may pick up another book and read them before I begin. This way I can decide if I like one method better than another.

It should be interesting getting the puppy in the winter. At least I know he will love snow! Also, I live in St. Cloud and I would like to obviously take him out in the field for a good portion of training. Are there any restrictions on state or federal land for training your dog in the spring/summer? Just to take him out retrieving and walking around?

Nate