• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Disgusting Habit

Springerguy1

Anyone have any ideas on how to break a dog of eating feces? The springer thinks every dog dropping is a treat and it is a bad habit....especially when the dog wants to lick everyone's face all the time. I mentioned this to someone at work and they mentioned a product call Deter - it's a pill the dog takes for a couple of weeks. The brittany outgrew this nasty habit to some degree although I occassionally see the same behavior from him. I don't think we're missing anything in the dogs diet, we feed them Science Diet and they get plenty of rawhides to chew on as well.

My lab did the same thing until she was about two years old. Tried everything from the over-the-counter remedies, to Tabasco sauce to e-collar shocking out of frustration....nothing worked. Then she just grew out of it and hasn't done it since.

My Brit is quite disgusting also. She would rifle through the garbage for baby diapers, and devour them, [PoorWordUsage] and all. So we started putting the garbage on the porch. Then the dog would grab the diaper, and run off with it as soon as it would come off the kid. That put potty training in high gear, and now the dog is no longer gross. She leaves her own [PoorWordUsage] alone.