• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1990 Arctic Cat 440 Jag

hovermn

I'm thinking about going to look at one of these and I'd like to know if there's anything in specific I should look for. He says:

"This snowmobile is a 1990, 440 Jag with 5100 miles. Snowmobile is in great shape, track and slides are in excellent condition, engine runs perfect with new belt and extra new belt."

Asking price is $650. I'm assuming I should jump on this, but I'd like to know people's opinion first. As I posted a few months ago, I have no experiece with sleds and I'd like an air cooled for ice fishing. This one is air cooled.

I plan on buying a compression gauge today.

I guess I would generally just look at the overall condition of the sled. Is it beat up or does it look like it was well maintained and cared for?

The sled has 5100 miles so you know it was used.

With that many miles, and the age of the sled, you are going to encounter a few problems somewhere and at sometime.

Might want to take a good look at the skis and check the condition of the wearbars/carbides. If the carbides were allowed to wear down, the bottom of the skis might be in pretty bad condition.

I would probably be most skeptical of the driveshaft bearings. The parts are cheap, the labor and work required to replace them is not. It is a job you can do yourself, it just takes time and is not very fun in the garage in the winter with no heat. grin.gif You really can't look them over either when you are kicking the tires on this sled.

Other than that, most everything else is easily "fixable" except for motor work if you are not good with engines. Carbs, fuel pump, electric "stuff", shocks, springs, hifax, carbides, lights, recoil are well within the abilities of weekend wrenchers.

My brother owns the same machine since almost new. The engine is bulletproof. The rear suspension...well, it's gone through two of them. This was no babied sled, so that might have something to do with it. wink.gif Look at the rear suspension closely. I wouldn't worry much about the engine.

Very easy to work on and really lightweight....peppy for a 440 fan too!

Yeah, I was looking forward to checking out the sled and possibily buying it. Sounded like just the ticket for what I'm looking to use it for. The seller said that he had someone coming out to look at it just before I called, so what do you do.

Maybe next time.