• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? for Steve about focus and contacts

Steve or any one who might know the answer.When I am outdoors I wear contacts so my far vison is improved better then 20/20 to something close to 20/15. The problem is that when I try to focus manually alot my shots are not a crisp as they should be.The shots taken with AF are perfect.When I wear the contacts and need to see close up I have to put on cheaters or hold it 2 feet away. I guess what I don,t know is how the camera is affected or if at all by my bad near vision. I have seen on POTN that they make a split screen to replace the original and is that the route to go. The one thing I havent tried was changing the diopter setting to see if there is a differance.

I would definitely change the diopter setting. It takes some getting used to, but you don't even need to have the diopter setting very close when using autofocus these days, because autofocus has become so sophisticated that in most cases it's more exact than manual using your eye. But experiment with the diopter on manual focus.

And, as an experiment, shoot manual focus from a tripod on an unmoving object like a ruler stretching into the distance. Note where your eye sees the sharpest focus along the ruler, then shoot the image and see if that's where the sharpest focus really is when you review it. If they're not the same, fiddle with the diopter. If they're still not the same, try the autofocus, and if they still are different, you probably have an issue with the lens itself.

Thanks alot for the info. Now I have a project for tonight. For some reason I thought the lens might have been fooling my eye into changing the focal point. I want to make sure that by next weekend that I can take a few good shots as the Canon and the Browning are both going to the deer stand. grin.gif

jimalm:

Yes, I bring both my weapons on my deer hunting excursions, too.

As a note, unless you're doing a lot of close-up work, it's almost always better to allow today's cameras to autofocus. A couple instances where this won't work is if you're shooting a subject through thick grass/trees, in which case it's hard to find a focus point for the subject, or when you're shooting through snowfall, which understandable confounds autofocus features.

Otherwise, when I want a subject off center in the frame, I simply focus on the subject, lock focus by keeping the shutter depressed halfway and moving the camera to recompose the image.

Good luck with the Browning. And, really, it's no shame for any rifle to be outshot by a Canon. grin.gif

Quote:

jimalm:

Yes, I bring both my weapons on my deer hunting excursions, too.

Good luck with the Browning. And, really, it's no shame for any rifle to be outshot by a Canon.
grin.gif

Since my second weapon happens to be a Ruger Super Redhawk, it makes it soooooo much easier to carry that Canon. Actually when I think about it, I am carrying two "Canons" grin.gif