• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to Bleat, Rattle, or Grunt?

Ferny

Hey Guy's, I have blind called during gun season every 30 minutes or so and NEVER attracted a thing. I bleated (can) at 4 out of range does last year and they all stopped and looked but wouldn't come in. I have grunted at deer and sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't?

The only time rattling ever worked was just before gun season last year. I saw a 8 pointer pestering a doe in a bean field. I pulled into the local park and snuck to about 300 yards away on the edge of beans and 6' tall grass with the deer upwind and very breezy.

I rattled the bag once and he didn't hear. I crashed the bag hard and got his attention then stopped. He left the doe and very casually snuck around through the tall grass. I saw him 3 times peeking over the grass looking for me. I last saw him about 75 yards to my right I think he was trying to get downwind of my? All of the sudden the weeds part 20' from me and anotherdoe comes out??? I never saw the buck again but I could have blasted him easy had it been open season and not in the metro!

My questions:

Are all bets off as soon as the first shots are fired or should I keep trying?

What cadence do you sucessfull callers use for blind grunting and rattling?

I hunt in Ottertail county during the gun season with crops nearby but in the woods.

Thanks,

Ferny.