• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Hunting Reports Anyone?

David Frank

Hunted with a buddy today SE of Mellette. We didn't have to hunt too hard to end up with our 6 pheasants. His dog worked absolutely beautifully. Days like today are what we all look forward to. Pheasants flushing close at the nose of a good bird dog.

Will post pictures tonight.

Nick's brother shot a nice rooster on sunday. If you look really close at the Pheasant hunting pics, you can see Craig pullin a fast one. We put the big one in front of Darin since he shot it, but after the pic where we are all kneeling down, Craig started laughing and told us all he held onto the tail feathers of the big one to make it look like his! Talk about cheap, as this was Darin's second rooster of his life! It had real nice spurs and 22 1/2" tail feathers.

Here is the pic:

279517293_42fed9f955_o.jpg

I went over to Salem on 10/26 to hunt. Didnt see a darn bird. Too much corn and it dont seem like many pheasants. Some years I buy several licenses but this year might be just the one I got now. Use the other half to go sharptail hunting maybe. Last year we had good hunting, I didnt feel there was a lot of birds this year just I had two days off and I was bored so i went and bought a license. Good Luck to everyone else.

If you look at the last piture above, the second guy in on the left is from Salem. Small world. Do you know anyone in that area? If so, I'm sure he does too as it is a pretty small community. I know there are not as many pheasants around there as up here by Aberdeen, but I have helped his buddies walk sloughs and trees for deer when I was in the area last year ice fishing and definately kicked out pheasants.

inlaws live about 15 miles south. I hunt that area every year. Most years we shoot plenty, last year was real good. Its not prime pheasant ground but there are some places with good hunting. There are birds around, we saw them a few weeks ago. Just not yesterday.

Side note, I went out near Hudson and got my first rooster of the year. I should have had my limit but the pheasants didnt fly where I shot.

I guided for a guy in Lake Andes over opener and the group shot 250 or so birds for the weekend, preserve and wild birds, what a weekend. Since then huntin has been pretty good for me locally. It has not been a problem for me to get my 3 in an hour a few times last week and four of us shot 7 in the last hour yesterday and three of us got 8 in an hour of huntin today so I cant complain at all, despite the corn still standing, public and private ground. About half have been older birds and we havent shot as many so far yearlings this year.

Got 12 birds yesterday hunting near lake Poinsett. Perfect day for pheasnat hunting. No wind!!!!!!!!! Birds were getting up closer than they did on the opener. Most of the corn is out.

We were done by 3:30pm.