• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fertilize???

joe_stack20

IMO, no. As long as the ground isn't frozen, go ahead.

Now, I know some people will say but the grass is dormant, won't use the nutrients, etc.

I disagree, but I'm also talking with my own properties which are still a dark, 5" tall green.

I let my properties grow out starting in October, so when I do a leaf cleanup, all the leaves are towards the top of the grass.

Then the lawns get 1 last mow / cleanup before fall.

I'm not the only one I see still out fertilizing either.

I have a lawn that is one year old and was told/instructed by a very knowledgable local garden center that I should put down 10-10-10 on or about Nov 1. They told me it will go entirely into root production and make the lawn much stronger for next year. I will try it.

Good plan with the low nitrogen fertilizer. If applying fertilizer beyond Oct. 1st, cut your nitrogen down as it promotes the growth of snow mold. A low based nitrogen fert. late in the season definitley helps the roots and gives it immediatley available nutrients in the spring.

Good Luck!

Ken

You may have a hard time finding that 10-10-10. Most places in MN now, it's not legal to run phospohorus in your fertilizer.

It would have to be something along the lines of a 10-0-10.

I know this is completely different that what LABS says, but personally, I run a 30-0-10, left at 3" high on all of my properties and have never had an issue with snow mold other than where places will stack snow, which is as much of a cause from the salt in the snow than anything.

I know in a previous post, I had mentioned that some universities had said to run the higher N, but make sure you're running it in the slow release form. I run all 50% slow release.

I'll see if I can dig up one of the old articles I had and run a link to it....

Most homeowners cannot use phosphate however you can use phosphate if you have a soil test performed and it is recommended by a turf professional.

It's good practice to know when you are with soil levels of nutrients before the application of any materials. This is this really important if someone trying to sell a program to you.

As far as the application of higher rates nitrogen late season, I would disagree. I have always felt that N sould be applied as close to when the plant needs it. Sure a little N in the fall is ok use urea or ammonium sulfate,an application of nitrate nitrogen would be not recommended.