• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

laser scopes for bows

mrjigger

Does anyone use the laser type scopes for bows. Similar to a scope you would put on a rifle. Thinking of buying one. What are the advantages/disadvantages? When using the scopes do you still have to be aware of the yardage the deer is away from you? or can you just put the crosshairs on the deer and let the arrow fly, similar to that of a rifle scope.

I just read the regs to the best of my ability and I couldn't find the answer. I'm almost positive that they used to mention that no artificial lights could be used on your sight in Minnesota. I think Red dot sights are somehow different but I don't remember the explanation.

The only true way to get the right answer is to contact your local CO. If you don't know who that is you can find their number on the MN DNR HSOforum under the enforcement link. It lists every officer and their home area with numbers to reach them.

Okay so this intrigued me as I have a sight pin light on my bow for low light conditions. I e-mailed the DNR and asked them:

"Hello,

I had a few questions regarding bowhunting. First, can you use a light to illuminate your sight pins on your bow? Second, can you use a red dot scope on your bow for a sight? I seem to remember reading you can use a light or an electronic sight on your bow as long as it did not project

outward toward the animal. I'm just interested and can't find anything in the regs. Thanks."

And the response I got from Kevin Kyle with the DNR was:

"Yes as long as the light is not projected outward, lite pins are legal. A red dot scope is legal as well. Kevin"