• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New old sled

live_2_fish

Sounds like a heck of a deal. And its an Arctic Cat too! wink.gif

The Cougar is an awesome little sled. Its liquid cooled which is a plus. But from 1988, it has Arctic Cat AFS front suspension on it. Its not going to be the smoothest riding sled in the world but than again, its not brand new and you didn't pay $7,000 for it either.

I would just make sure you clean the carbs good and get fresh gas before letting it rip this winter.

Actually the Cougar was a 500 fan cooled, and a powerful engine being a fan. Good reliability too.

I had an '88 El Tigre 530 liquid and what a fussy pile of junk. It saw numerous mechanics and nobody could figure out the issues. Fast sled, but too many issues as it was build for high performance.

I rode a Cougar and I wish I had one of those after my lemon.

If those 500 fans ever had an issue that I was aware of, they would flake the chrome off of the cylinder walls around the exhaust port, eventually it got tougher and tougher to start because of a the loss of compression. Myself and my friends had a few of those 500 fans growing up. I probably wouldn't worry about it, usually it wasn't one of those problems that left you stranded somewhere ( the CDI boxes would do that ) that 500 was still one great motor.

I rememeber those 530's too, high strung little motor that didn't last very long production wise for a reason, like you said, fussy bugger.

First new sled that I owned was a '92 Cougar, can't remember if that was the 1st or 2nd year they had put the 440 liquid in them, still goes down as one of my favorite sleds.

Either way you cut it, if that sled is in as good of shape as you say, that is still one good deal. I keep my eyes open for a '90 - '99 Arctic 440 liquid sled every once in a while, that is a tough motor!

THINK SNOW BOYS !!!!!!

Mike

My ZL 440 liquid was one heck of a motor. Strong, extremely reliable, fast and forgiving. I sold it this summer as it was time to move up to newer sleds for the wife and I.

The strongest motor I have ever seen. '90 Jag 440 fan. It's been to hell and back. 2 suspensions, skis, track is about toast, several thousand miles...but the engine is the only thing that still operates at this point after it's final ride late last year.