• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Force Fetch Training?

311Hemi

I have been working on "hold" for the past 3 weeks and my pup has that command down. We are now working force fetch and just started on Tuesday. He knows the fetch command now and will fetch the dowl when I am holding it out in front of him a few feet. Up to this point I have not had to put any pressure on him to do the commands, and he is responding well.

It seems like this is a good sign that I have not had to pressure him yet, but I am wondering if my thinking is correct or if this is going to hurt my later if he stops responding as he is now and I need to start using pressure? Any thoughts on how I should procede?

Do you have a book on 'force fetch'? I myself never skip any stage of the force routine. Even dogs that are breezing through it, get the full regiment, just maybe not as long as one who stumbles along the way. If you shortcut it, it may or may not come back to bite you. Why take the chance. You'll always have it in your arsenal if you need it and if it was done correctly, most of the time a truley 'forced' dog will not need pressure later in it's life...

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with Labs!

I FF my dog last winter/spring, and it was my first time and everything seemed to be going smooth. It came back to bite me. I didn't know how much pressure to use, and was always afraid of "wrecking" my dog. Long story short, he wasn't nearly as sensitive as I thought he was. I had problems with him picking up ducks in the spring. Per a very respectable handler I went back and reviewed FF, and then did it with ducks. He is now rock solid. I follow Mike Lardy's training program. I would definately get a program to follow. This is my second dog, but my 1st with actually following a training program. My first dog was a great hunting partner for 12 seasons, but I already know my 2 year old better than my first dog, and formal training is why!

Good luck training. My current dog Greta a Deutsch Drahthaar was the 1st dog I force fetched. It was a little challenging but well worth the time and effort. It makes you the alpha and the dog obeys much better in all aspects of behaviour. I will never have another dog that has not been force fetched.

Mwal

I agree with mwal. After force fetching my dog the partnership between her and I changed. We are a much more cohesive team when hunting or just around the house. Adding new commands after force fetch got much easier. I would always force fetch any dog I own, hunting or otherwise. Hopefully the otherwise never comes.

Another question on Force Fetch. Hemi and I met the other night and we had the discussion about using the E-collar for force fetch. I had talked to a trainer who mentioned FF should not be taught with the e-collar to keep them seperate. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I followed Evan Grahm's Smarkwork series (and smart fetch in this case) and, following the book, you teach force fetch with the ear pinch but transition to using the e-collar, which makes future corrections (especially when the dog is a ways away from you) a whole lot easier than running out to pinch the dog's ear.

marine_man