• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yellow spots in Lawn

MiltonaMuskie

I am thinking about getting my first dog ever...A Vizsla. One thing that I am not excited about is the yellow spots that I would have in my yard. I have always been pretty proud of my manicured lawn, and would hate to lose that.

Does anyone use any products to help reduce/eliminate that problem?

Also, Any comments on a Vizsla?

Another questions...How hard is it to train a puppy to only use one area to go to the bathroom? What if I made an area out of pea gravel for them to go to the bathroom? Could I make them go both pee and [PoorWordUsage] in that area? How big would that area have to be for a dog like a Vizsla?

There is no product to combat the urine burn your lawn will recieve over winter...

When I had a city lot, my dogs were trained to go to the bathroom in an 8'x8' timber and pea gravel area. Worked like a charm. Teach them that is where they are to go from the time they are pups and you should be good to go. I had a hedge of Dwf Korean lilacs around the outside so the pea rock was not visible from the houses minus a 5' opening on one side...

Good Luck!

Ken

Great idea with the lilacs, Ken. Hadn't thought of that. Our last dog (GSP) was trained to go on a 4'x6' pea rock area as well, and our current dog (DD) is trained to only pee on the light pole or power box, so our dead grass is limited to within a couple feet of those 2 items. I'm sure the Xcel Energy guys will love that! grin.gif I'm planning on mulching around the light pole and power box next spring so there's no dead grass visible.

Female urine is worse than a males for some reason.

I have 2 females and needless to say they were rough on the lawn.

The lawn service suggested lime as a way to neutralize the acid in the urin and also keep it watered so it dilutes it.

I finally just built a 6x12 run and let them do their business in there.

It's easy to clean up the do-do and hose-'er-down every couple of days.

My lawn has recovered and my wife likes it.

So I guess it's a win-win sort of thing!

Lime will NOT help... It's an old wives tale. The water to dilute it will help, the problem is that most of the damage will happen in the winter when the ground is frozen and it's hard to get it diluted with water.

Males are easier on the lawn because they rarely pee on the lawn... Look at an evergreen shrub that a male continually pee's on... it'll turn as brown as a female's brown spot in grass.

The run was THE perfect solution!!! grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

I ain't gonna lie to ya....I have the secret:

I don't give a rats dump what my yard looks like....would rather put a football field back there with turf so I didn't have to mow and/or care about weeds.

I have no yellow from my big golden, never have...

I think the key is to stand out on your deck with a beer, and threatan the grass with replacement with turf, it'll stay green...it does here

D