• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp - Laws on catching and what to do with?

Greetings,

As a kid I bow hunted carp on Cooks bay on the west end of Lake Minnetonka. Had a 4th grade friend and we would take our 20# compound bows and hunt them along the shady shore. We would walk slowly along the the shore and churn up some muck with our feet. You always new they were going to gather around you and follow you, but you were always surprised as you would wait for it to happen and nothing, then a few min. go by, you forget, and there are 10 behind you and it was kind of freaky.

Any way, when you catch them, what do you do with them? We always put them in the garden in the way back yard. My mom led me to believe that it was illegal to return them to the water; not that I would, if you pulled them from it.

Is that true?

Do people release them?

If so, Why?

PS - I hate carp! wink.gif Even more so after my mom tried cooking them twice. Uuuuuuuuugh!!!

Peace and Blessings

You cannot return bighead, silver, black or grass carp to the water if found in MN - however, they are extremely rare in this state (no silver or black carp have been reported caught in this state as far as I'm aware of). If you do catch one of these four species, you're supposed to kill them immediately and alert the local DNR office and bring them the carp for positive identification. They are invasives and could be a problem to the native species of fish this state. As for the common carp, you must either return them to the water, or bring them home for personal use, most likely eating or for fertilizer. I haven't eaten carp, but I understand that preparation is the key, if you want to try eating them. Some people recommend smoked carp. Also recommended is cutting out the dark part of the flesh around the lateral line - the flavor is too strong for many people. It's illegal to leave carp (or any fish, for that matter) on the banks of the river or lake or to throw a dead fish back in the water(it's considered wanton waste). It's also pretty inconsiderate to other people who fish and/or walk along the water's edge. Nothing nastier than smelling a 20-lb. carcass of a carp rotting slowly in the sun.

Dave D.

It has been said many times on here. Do not throw a fish on shore and let it rot. I think it is great reducing the populations of carp, but I do not want to deal with bringing those nasty things home and then deciding what to do with them.

I will hopefully be able to learn a little more about carp and hopefully start catching them. I just cant wait to catch that first one.

You can easily make friends with a hog farmer. Hogs love these things and apparently they are good for hogs.

I regularly fish a few carp fishing tournaments. Often times a hog farmer will bring his huge hog trailer and all carp are thrown in the trailer for his hogs.

Carp fishing, its almost the most fun fishing there is! I hit the mn river every spring before opener, a dozen crawlers a pole and a few beers is all the gear you need. Then find some back water or creek, and get ready for some carp and sheepshead action, its awsome, I cant wait!!