• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do carp eat?

SpecialK

Do they eat what ever they can or are they mostly plant eaters? I ask this because I was down on Lake Byllesby yesterday trolling a jointed #5 floating Rapala in rainbow trout color and had 2 lay the smack down on it. They were both roughly the same size (16" - 18"). I took a picture of the one I got in the boat (threw him back). I always thought they were vegetation eaters is why I ask.

As a side note, all of you carp fisherman should add Byllesby to your lakes to fish. They were everywhere and sight fishing shallow or deep could be accomplished easily.

Anything on the bottom pretty much. They usually dont attack things off the bottom like that, but I bet sometimes they must get hungry enough.

Their main food will be small invertabres and plant matter I believe.

Check up the dnr site. Search all of the different fish in MN and when they spawn, what they eat, where they are located.

Common Carp will crash schools of minnows if they are plentiful, they will feed on dry flies like trout do and grub on the bottom for crayfish. They do not feed on plants, but they can uproot and destroy plants by grubbing on the bottom. Their most common food is aquatic insects: mayfly larvae, caddis larvae, chironomids, and aquatic beetle larvae. The same stuff trout feed on.

My wife lived out in Montana before I met her and said the best Trout bait ever was those mini marshmellos.They used to get mad at all the pesky(and large)carp and suckers that would crash their baits competing with the trout!c63