• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Close To A Trail?

David Frank

One little tip for Trail watching. Try to aim the camera so it looks down the trail instead of across it. Deer don't always walk right on the trail and if they pass close to the camera the delay in triggering may mean an empty frame. Look for a curve in the trail and stay back a little to maximize your coverage of not just the trail but the area along it.

Most cameras seem to give good photo results at about 10 to 15 yards. Much closer and you could miss the deer or just get part of it. To far and it can be hard to pick out detail of what was being photographed. Coons and possums can really blend in to the background past 20 yards if thier eyes are looking away from the camera.

I don't know about 10-15yds. That would be 30 ft or more. Most of the average cameras that is reaching their limit. I found that out the hard way last year when I needed a microscope to find the animals that were triggering my camera. They were at the farthest reach of the focus and that was only around 30'. I owuld stick to the 10-20ft range.

If you're aiming down a trail this will give you plenty of opportunity.