• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats a hybrid sunfish?

Morquinn23

I was just reading that there are hybrid sunfish in the lake I live on... I would like to know what the heck these are? What do they look like? I have caught many sunfish on this lake, but nothing that doesnt look like a bluegill or pumpkinseed or regular lookin sunfish.

I would say that the fish above is a green sunfish. Typically when a green and a bluegill hybridize, you get the green or blue hint like the green, but much less prominent, and you get a smaller mouth like the bluegill.

The 2nd picture may be a hybrid, smaller mouth...

Hybrids are very tough to ID a lot of times, and there are so many different hybridizations. Bluegill/green, and bluegill/pumpkinseed are the most common.

Here's a link to help ID sunfish...

Yep, that's a greenie. The mouth doesn't look all that large in the picture but you can tell by the gill plate and the crease from the jaw... and by the way Breuer is holding the fish you can also tell it's relatively thick...