• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crab Grass

Doop

I live in a different climate than you guys but I thought you might have some ideas or tricks to try.

I have crab grass in my backyard. I'm going to start using Scott's year-round and supposedly in the winter/spring I put some stuff on my lawn that will help with crab grass. Between now and then do you guys have any ideas?

I've dug them up with a spade....but that would take me until the end of time to dig them all up.

Thanks!

sorry guys...didn't mean to jump the other post....naturally I read through it AFTER I posted mine. Ooops.

I guess I have the same problem and mine is crab grass. The guys at Home Depot really aren't much help as to pointing me in the right direction. I would like to some kind of spray...but have no idea what to use.

Is that a spray or fertilizer in a bag?

We have St. Augustine grass.....long runners and it gets VERY thick. I've been told not to use some applications because we have St. Augustine.

I was hoping to get the St. Augustine so thick it would choke out the crab grass but the more I water to keep the grass thick...the more that stupid crab grass grows.

The preventer is done in the spring and it is usually combined in a granular fertilizer. You said you're using Scott's year round. Does that mean you hired them or you will use their products and apply them yourself?

The Pre-emergent is used in the spring before the seeds germinate. This "prevents" the crabgrass. It is possible to still get them if the soil was disturbed and the vapor barrier was broken in that area. The only product I've ever used (or ever needed) was called Drive75 by Lesco. It will kill crabgrass that is already in your lawn. Crabgrass grows in stages and there is only 1 stage that is not vulnerable to the spray so with a little planning, I've eliminated crabgrass from someones yard in 1-2 yrs.

The sprays will only kill the weed. Since crabgrass is so thick and deep-rooted, you will still need to pull them once they die, but it is a lot easier.

funny...I just did some reading about drive75.....everyone said it's good stuff and it works....only problem was I couldn't find anything on the internet about purchasing the stuff. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!