• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shake, Rattle and Crank!

I just wanted to take the time to share a proven crankbait trolling tactic for walleyes that I came up with. The setup incorporates a Rattling Bead from JB Lures. Although this is still in the experimental mode I have made one conclusion. Do you really need me to tell you what it is? wink.gif

I started using this setup when I wanted to add more attraction to my balsa baits. As many of you know the standard balsa baits do not have a rattle for attraction. If the rattle is desired you must typically go to some form of a plastic crankbait. Somedays the fish symply do not want them and still prefer the old stanby. Here is my setup to achieve the best of both worlds.

Most often I will remove the split ring from the bait and attach a 1' to 2' flourocarbon leader with the Rapala knot. I also use the Rapala knot on the end I attach to my main line. On my main line I have a snap swivel with a JB Lures Rattling Bead just above it.

The entire rig looks like this.

shake.jpg

I shortend up the leader length for the sake of the picture.

This rig also works great on lakes with heavy algae blooms. With this bead a few feet up from your bait the algae collects on the bead and helps keep the bait free of goop, so you can make the most of your fishing time.

mw

I don't know. My feeling is it will affect the way the plug runs. I just tossed out a bunch of my older balsa plugs that would just not run true no matter what adjustments I made. I tie direct with no swivel, leader, ect. I mostly speed troll this time of year and find that anything I add just screws up the way the plug runs.

My 2 cents.

I like that idea Mike. I'm going to give it a try the next time I pull cranks.

I've used techniques similar to that for jigging in the past, where I add a bead (or two, three, etc) above the jig for added noise and appeal. It also works for ice fishing when trying to draw in more fish, giving off the idea that there are multiple prey items for the fish to feed on...

The bead a few feet above to plug allows it to run freely. I have tested this side by side with a crank attached to a snap. On a #7 Shad Rap the tail will have a wider wobble with my setup. On the same token a superbraid leader will give the front of the crank more wobble.

As for the rattle rattling it does. I actually stuck my head under water while the bait was pulled past me. It rattles!

I also wanted to add that during a recent tourney in SD, my partner and I were able to catch fish right through a croud of boats only to have other boats stare at us and try to figure what we were doing different. I hope they were FM members because now they will know.

mw