• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keep your pet cool this weekend!

marine_man

Make sure you're keeping your dog cool this weekend with the high temps..

Also, don't train during the warm periods.. I've been training first thing in the morning and a little bit before dark.. that's it. The rest is trips to the lake or him laying in the pool in his kennel...

By the way.. the $5 kiddie pools work great in a kennel to keep a dog cool...

marine_man

I picked one up yesterday and it's the one that's got the fish on the inside of the pool (in the pool material). I watched my dog spend about 3 minutes trying to catch those fish in his mouth, and we he couldn't do that he started scratching at them with his front paw.. it was pretty funny...

marine_man

That is funny you mentioned that. Before reading this post, I found a blue pool ($5.99) at Ace Hardware. I thought I was pretty smart coming up with this idea. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Here's a question though, my dog wants nothing to do with it! She loves the water when we play fetch or when we are hunting, but will not get into the pool! I physically showed her by laying her down in it while petting her (making sure she is comfy), but she still won't go on her own. Any ideas?

Just FYI...I a police k9 handler and my vet has cautioned me about letting the dog completly submerging himself in water after working on hot days. She claims that if they submerge themselves and then exit the pool it will cause a "Thermo something" (cant remember what she called it) and actually cause the dog to get hotter. She recommended to only let the dog get wet to his belly then remove them and place them in front of a fan. Also i dont personnely use it but for transporting the dogs around there is a new product called coolK9. You can look them up on the web, i have had a couple of fellow handlers talk about them but i have not seen any used. Just my 2 cents

I have a field springer that loves to run through the lawn sprinkler. A cheapo plastic model that has a constant upright spray. She lays on it, rolls on it, gets good and soaked and then lays on a lounger type of lawn chair and lets the wind dry her off. Fun to watch.

Sometimes another dog to "show them how" helps. When my lab was young he would just stand in the pool and "dig" water up onto his chest and belly. Then one time a friends golden was over and lay down in the pool. My lab stood there watching and it was like a light turned on. As soon as the golden got out my lab went in and immediately lay down. You could almost see him smile and say "ahhhh!" Now he loves to lie in his pool, but only after he's done a little work to get warm.