• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog training

leadcore

I am an avid hunter and recently sent my dog away to a 2 month program, to be trained extensively in hunting and retreiving. he has only been away 3 weeks, but i am starting to miss the dog & question if i did the right thing. looking for advice fron anyone who has sent their dog away...will he come back with the same personality, will he adjust to being back at home, any advice on whether i should visit him.....any feedback welecome!

I sent mine away for a month in May, I had the same concerns that you had. I think the dog is actually more cuddly and never wants to leave my side even more than before I sent her. The problem is one month is not enough to train a dog. My dog had very little improvement even though it was pretty well trained when I sent her.

When I dropped my first dog off for training, I blamed the tears on hay fever. (She didn't buy it) I knew where the dog would be kept and cared for, I signed a contract regarding what my training expectations were and I just had to suck it up while she was gone. When we picked her up, I thought the dog would pee her pants when she saw me, but she was happy there too. Once you start hunting with your new dog, you will realize that the time spent away was well worth it for BOTH of you. Been thru it, you will be fine

The only thing that I noticed when I sent Maggie away was when she returned she was a hunting machine. She hunted all the time. Sounds great but it was hard to take her for a walk since all she wanted to do was hunt. I am also surprised that the Canary made it through Maggie wanting to flush it multiple times a day. I think it only took her a couple weeks to re-adjust. Although 3 years later all she wants to do on a walk is hunt.

Over all a very positive experience sending her away. One added bonus is that Maggie loves going to the kennel, we also board her at the same place, while on vacation.

Glad to know I'm not the only one counting the days until my dog comes home from training. I brought him to North Dakota June 1st and I dont pick him up until September 3. I can hardly wait. I look at the picture of him fishing with me at least 10 times a day. 6a928e38.jpg

Yes it's tuff to not have the little ball of energy running amuck, but I garranty you will be happy about how well the dog will mind and hunt when your in the field this fall.

Mine was already trained for obediance and some retrieving before I brought her in, but what a differance the pro's can make in such little time they have the dog.

Benny