• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

e-collars and water

Johnny_Namakan

I recently picked up a new shock collar and was reading through the manual last night. It basically said to not use it around water or to get it wet. I want to be able to keep it on my dog during this Fall's hunting season. She's the kind of dog where when I have the collar on her she does everything she's told without ever having to actually use it. But as soon as I take it off she gets a mind of her own. She knows exactly what the collar does, so when it gets put on, all of a sudden she gets very intelligent. wink.gif Anyway, she has a hard time staying out of water when we're hunting. Whether it be a puddle or a pond she sees. So my question is, have any of you had "issues" with water coming in contact with the e-collars?

I havent had any issues but mine is water proof(Dogtra 2000 T&B)

I would suggest that if your collar isnt made to get wet, it probably isnt a good idea to even try it.

I was very hesitant at first in getting my dogs collar wet, but it has held up and works fine.

If the collar is not waterproof and you intend to use it for hunting I'd suggest you return it and get a waterproof collar built for the beating that hunting will dish out.

Yeah, I might have to. These things are expensive though! I spent $150, and they go up over $400. I assumed they were all waterproof. But you know what happens when you assume. wink.gif I didn't get one of the more expensive models, because it seemed that price was determined by range. And since I didn't need a collar with 1000+ feet of range, (300' range on mine) i opted to go with the less expensive model. Oh well, you get what you pay for I guess. Thanks guys!

there are alot more features to look at besides range that will factor in price. you need to look at battery life, nick, constant, how many levels of shock. For example my collar goes 0 to 100, some are just 1 to 5. In that case 2 may not be strong enough and 3 may be too much.

Then theres vibrate, beep and page, water proof, some are digital some are analog. Some are 2 collar systems some are just one. The list goes on and on.

If its not to late to return it, I would try to get something water proof. Good luck

I looked into returning the collar for a waterproof model. The package said in large print "PLEASE DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT." It went on to say that I should call the number listed for customer support. And that they will fix whatever problems may be occuring. I wonder why they won't take returns on collars. Maybe in case people tampered with the product or something. No big deal I guess. I've been working with my dog every day after work and after only 1 week with the product she's shown huge signs of improvement. Hopefully by fall I won't need it anymore. Then one I bought has levels 1-15. It has tick and continuous modes. It has a praise tone as well. It's a very nice model, just not waterproof frown.gif

I would suggest that you call the number and tell them exactly what your thinking. I know Tri-tronics customer service is exceptional. Did some upgrading for me at a very good deal.

I would highly recommend a waterproof collar if used in hunting situations. I would hate to train my upland dog to retrieve and then have to start yelling if that bird dropped into water.(which happens alot in the dump I like to hunt in).