• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King Quad Hubs freezing up

perchking

I have a question, I have a 1999 King Quad 4x4 and I love that thing in the summer time but as soon as it gets cold it is useless. It starts just fine when it is -20 but go and ahead and try to use it and all of the HUBS are froze up. I have checked and there is no water in them. I need to use my heater by each hub for about and hour before it is ready to use, and I never take it fishing becuase if I stop for about 30 minutes it will freeze up again.

Thanks,

Greg

Anybody have any clues of what could be going on? I am sure it is freezing up somewhere but I tripple checked all the seals around the drums and they all seem fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it's not the hubs. I had a truck one time with a manual transmission. I found that I had to place the truck in gear when I parked it rather than applying the parking brake because the brakes would freeze to the drums. I said it was an old truck. Maybe you're experiencing a similar problem and your brakes are what is freezing. Can they be adjusted to release completely?

Bob

Bob,

You might be on to something. Now that I think about it, it usuall is JUST the right side of the wheeler that freezes up. I need to replace the back ones so I guess I am just going to have to wait and see. Thanks again.

when your brakes cool in extreme cold weather parts seem to shink more due to the coldness ,, when you replce them set them a little lose and your winter probs are gone...

im pretty sure those have drum brakes...the seals around the drum may be leaking a little and your getting water in them, so when it gets cold they freeze...take them apart and clean them up...check the seals...replace if you need to..talk to a dealer, there is some type of grease you can put on the seals to help keep water out as well...