• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Golden Labs

Kyle

Over the years, I have come to really love labs, and goldens. I think they are both great dogs. Then I saw a lab with a little bit darker redish tint and a thicker coat. Later on I found out it was a golden lab hybrid. I have seen other golden labs that look more like goldens and some look like dark yellow labs. Though I have no preference right now on which look I like better, I have been looking around and found it hard to come by any breeders that will match these two great dogs up to make a golden lab. If anyone knows any info on where I can get one or even some information on them please let me know.

I've seen YELLOW labs that are almost white, and some that were almost red colored like a golden retriever, and many phases inbetween. Generally most yellow labs will get darker in the winter and lighter colored in the summer. And now you hear about some people trying to breed red labs, then you have your chocolate labs, and pointing labs and British labs, after awhile it gets to be a marketing thing, people trying to sell you a lab thats just alittle different. Just go to a good lab breeder or a good golden retriever breeder and you'll have yourself a good dog without all the hype. A lab/golden retriever breeding will more than likely just be an accident, a reputable breeder would get about 1/4 as much for the pups than if they had purebreds.

Ditto to Blackjacks post...

Calling them "hybrids" is just a fancy (expensive) way of saying 'mutt'. Now before anyone out there with a cross breeding jumps me, I've hunted behind some dang fine mixed breed dogs... I just don't get the intentional mixing of genes. The problem posed is this... how are you suppose to identify traits you desire or traits you want to minimize without knowing the dogs history? There is no way of registering them or their progeny.

Mixed breeds are generally 'dogs du jour' and run their course and slowly disappear. Remember the labradoodle and goldendoodle phenomonem? Just a couple of years ago people were paying $1500-2000 for what in essence you could walk out of the shelter with for free... Now the few ads you still see have them in the $400 range and it won't be long till they are free also.

As Blackjack stated, find reputable breeders of both breeds, research there blood lines and choose one or the other. Both are fine breeds and you will do will with either. If you want a mixed breed pup, keep your eyes on the paper, they are in their all the time. It would be rare for a reputable breeder to breed them....

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with what has been said already. If you are like me and you like the color of a golden but don't like the long hair, look for a yellow lab like this cute little girl (and yes I am extremely bias).

Just do your research and find a reputable breeder and don't let them tell you that you need to spend $1000+ dollars for a "fox red" yellow lab, because they are all just yellow labs (AKC only reconizes black, yellow, and chocolate)

Most of all have fun with them they are truly a joy. 5.jpg

Wallmounter,

I just had to reply to your post when I saw your dog. Actually my brother called and said to take a look. He said your dog was identical to mine. I wish I had a picture that showed it better, but your dog truly does look like a sibling of mine. The first pic is of my dog (on the right: $450) and my buddies dog (on the left: $1500 professionally trained and bred). They look and act identical. My dog is smart and does everything I've trained it to, but my buddies is truly a joy to watch. That dog is incredible. It makes my dog look like it's slightly mentally challenged. smile.gif But that dog was worked with everyday, all day, for several months. Some of us just don't have the luxury of time like that. frown.gif Anyway, I just had to jump in here.

Img36sisju.jpg Last fall at Camp White Pine (hunting shack)

DSCN0175.jpg Here she is as a puppy.

Most people I know will call a darker (reddish) yellow a FOX-RED yellow lab.

I agree with LABS. A Lab/Golden mix is nothing more than fancy wording for mutt.

If you are interested in the fox red look I can give you a couple of breeders names and numbers.

Let me know.

GOOD LUCK!!

Johnny -

That pup in the second picture has some huge meat hooks.

Both of you guys posted pics of some great looking yellows.

You guys had the breed right, but the color wrong grin.gif

magoscar31up.jpg

Well maybe not, but I am a little partial grin.gif

If you are interested to e-mail me I can give you the HSOforum for the breeder I bought Maggie (the dog on the left in the pic I posted) from. They have every color of lab. They run an excelent operation. I can't say enogh about them. They are near Grove City, west of Litchfield so that isn't too far from you, in St. Cloud.

[email protected]

Casey-

Nice pic. Something has their attention off to their left. Must be birds around! smile.gif I like Black labs and all, but how are you supposed to be able to hunt at night with a black dog?? It's tough enough seeing them darn grouse in the dark let alone the dog. Just kidding. I don't want anybody calling the Warden on me now for being silly! smile.gif