• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lump found on my Golden

colonel42

I have a golden retrieve that will be six tomorrow. I have him shaved about 3 to 4 times per year. The other day I was out in the woods with him and came home to find about 100 ticks on him. I myself was full too. While picking tics I found a lump on his hind leg about the size of a silver dollar. The grommers never said anything about it and this is the first time I had noticed it. I noticed he was bitten near his eye by a horsefly and swollen. So I figured maybe the lump was just another bite. A few days later the lump was still there. I have since taken him to the vet and they told me it could be a fatty tumor or a cancerous tumor. My question is has anyone else had to deal with this and what concerns do I have to look forward to.

My lab has had two tumors taken off his front leg. Most are localized tumors and either cancerous or not. The first one they said wasn't, the second one was, but they didn't expect it to come back. He's twelve now, and I noticed he has another one. Really in a bad spot, just on the ankle joint on the front leg. Think I have to get it off before it affects his mobility, but surgery at 12 years isn't a great option...not good.

Basically though, get it taken off, its not that bad of a surgery and they heel up pretty quick from it.

We have had malignant and benign tumors occur on several dogs and cats. The fatty tumors were left alone upon the advice of the vet. They appear as soft movable masses--it's like they are not anchored to anything solid. We had a benign tumor called a button tumor removed as a precaution. It was more of a round firm raised patch about the size of a quarter with more sharply defined edges.

The cancerous ones were, of course, removed, and although new ones appeared later, it was obvious that removal extended the life of the animal. Your vet should advise you, but based on our experience the surgery was not all that difficult or expensive, and we would remove any except a fatty tumor. Good luck.

Your vet didn't recommend a biopsy? The sooner you know what you have the better. I had a golden the same age, got a small lump about the size of a quarter on her neck. Long story short, mast cell tumor (cancerous). After many more popping up and being removed, treatments at the U of M, chemo, etc...she lived to see 9. I can't imagine not doing everything possible, so it cost me a small fortune for all the treatments. I hope it's not bad news but the sooner you find out the better. Good luck...

The vets biopsy was sticking a needle into the lump and try to get liquid out. Nothing can out. He told me they would do surgery and cut it out. Stick it in phermeldahide (sp)if it floats it a fatty tumor and if it sinks it is a cancerous tumor. The tumor is on the inside of his back leg right at the knee joint. The vet said the longer we wait the worse off for healing time because of the location. Copper is going under the knife next Wednesday.

My yellow lab has the same thing on her chest and we actually just had her into the vet today and the biopsy came back as a fatty tumor. The vet did a biopsy right away and said they are very common with middle aged dogs but you should always have a biopsy done just to check. Good luck with your dog and hopefully it's just a fatty tumor not a malignant one.

Just shaved my golden last week, and noticed a small, blood filled wormlike lump on his rear quarters. When I say blood filled, I really mean that it is red in color, so I assume blood filled. I had a chessie a few years back who had several fatty tumors removed, but this one is different.

In my opinion, it is nothing serious. What do you guys think? Sure would hate to lose my buddy on my opinion.

Also, just had him to the vet, his thyroid count is low, gets to start 2x daily medicine for this...anyone had any experience with hypothyroidism?

D

My wife and much of my family has hypothyroidism! :>

But seriously, my golden had several lumps, and the vet told us they were probably just fatty deposits. 6 months later he died from cancer. Moral of the story: talk to your vet about anything you are unsure of. They know WAY more than we do about a dog's medical condition. If they say not to worry, then don't. I always had something in the back of my mind that said something wasn't right- then we find out it is too late to save our friend. Don't take a chance, it might be time and money well spent.

This morning Copper went to the vet to go under the knife. He gave me that look of tear as I walked out. Great news though vet said it was just a fatty tumor. Kids were all crying last night scared to what might happen. Vet said your hound dog is ready to go home. Thanks for all the support and info. Let's hunt!!!!!!!

Just got a lump checked out on my 11 month lab last week, it came back as histiocytoma, which is basically a benign tumor. Vet said to let it be and it will go away, anyone had any experience with this? I trust my vet, just kind of wondering if anyone has run into any problems with histiocytoma.