• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strange scabs on the dogs head

wormfood

I need to post here to see if anyone would have a clue as to what our 2 year old lab has going on. We first thought it could be fly bites or something but it hasn't cleared itself up and she hasn't spent much time outside unsupervised since we first saw 'The Bumps'.

She's got small yellow-ish scabs on the top of her head. They don't seem to itch or hurt. They are visible only because they form small bumps that push her hair up - it makes her head look bumpy.

She hasn't been out in the woods or long grasses (house or fenced in back yard is all she's seen) and I confirmed that she is tick free - frontline was applied a couple weeks ago and there aren't any ticks stuck on her head in the area of the bumps.

Any idea's?

My buddy had a shorthair with similar symptoms that you describe on both her belly and head. The dog used to rub her head and her chest on the kennel entrance to itch a couple of areas. They just kept getting worse and finally needed and anti-biotic and she had to be kept in a crate until the sores finally healed.

She has a localized staph infection. Personally I'd go to the vet for antibiotics. But if you want you can shampoo her real good and keep her clean and see if it clears up. If you let it go too long those pustules will get worse and her skin will scar there.

Could be the staph. infection but another thing that is out could be mange of one of the two types. The vet will be able to tell you. they can see the mites and stuff or culture the spot for the infection. Post when you find out.

We gave the vet a call on Monday and they said let it sit for a couple more days to see if it clears up - which it has not yet so she's heading to the vet today to get checked out.

Thanks for the replies and I'll post what the results of the diagnosis.

Quote:

Food Allergies? They usually show up around the 2 year old mark...

It's funny you mention this Ken... my 2 year old lab has recently developed a couple of hot spots under his neck. I've been using an e-collar since he's been 6 months or so, and know to put it on tight enough, and I haven't worked him real hard where I would have expected him to form hot spots... what are the chances that these spots are related to food alergies?

Thanks!

marine_man

I've been lucky to this point and have never had a dog with food allergies. I know of several that have developed them and most come on around the 2 year old mark. Most are of corn products, so most are easily treated with a food switch. Some dogs need meds like benydryl to get by. The ones I've seen with the most problems tended to show sores on the head (I think from scratching) and the feet from licking. I know it is easy for a vet to check them... They can be a buggar if they have them bad enough...

Also try washing the collar itself with a good shampoo like Novasun scrub. Your vet will carry it. In fact it is good to clean sores too. See if that helps. I'm in no way an expert opn allergies, but it should be a quick fix at the vet. My buddy was thinking his dog had them and switched to some all natural food ( I think w/o corn) and his dog seems to be doing better. No trip to the vet.

Good Luck!

Ken

Doc said it was a staph infection and she's on meds now to clear it up. 20 days of the stuff and after only a couple days she's already turning her nose up at the special hot dogs she gets as a treat - stuff the pill in a piece of hot dog in hopes that she would swallow it whole - yeah, right! She was on to us after the second piece!

Oh well, hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Thanks for the info Ken...

I'll try cleaning the color and spots with what you reccomend... I'm already feeding a chicken based food, so I think I'm OK there.. I'm guessing they're just hot spots...

Thanks!

marine_man