• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

And now for something slightly different . . .

These are a different view of lupines than Jonny's most excellent work posted in another thread on this board. These were shot today. All with a Canon 20D DSLR and Canon 100-400mm L series image stabilizer lens, handheld. All but the last image is shot in flat light, with sun behind clouds, which helps bring out the subtle yellow tones that are so close together in these flowers.

iso200, 1/320 sec, f6.3, 310mm

twin-spires.jpg

iso200, 1/200, f10, 285mm

mid-spire-tight.jpg

iso200, 1/160, f13, 320mm

riotous.jpg

iso400, 1/400, f7.1, 400mm

sharpest-with-bee.jpg

And after the rain chased me into the truck and then cleared off . . . backlit . . .

iso400, 1/800, f10, 400mm

backlit-after-rain.jpg

Very nice Steve!......I don't think I've ever seen a yellow toned lupine......never in the wilds ....very nice indeed......last one's my favorite......I noticed some of the wild lupines are already starting to shrivel.......few more days of pic taking......jonny grin.gif

fubar, that's a really pretty image. Good work.

Jonny, many of the lupines on the range are not from wild stock. Lots of Range lupines are from cultivated garden varieties that escaped a long time ago. Like the stocked steelhead of North Shore streams, they've become such a part of our lives that it seems they've always been here.

I see very few yellow lupines out along the roadsides, where all our lupines grow up here by Ely. Almost all are varieties of purple, with some pink thrown in. All wild lupines are purple, I believe, though not all purple lupines are wild. The garden escapes tend to be more lush and with thicker flowers closer together. So if you see other colors, they're escapes, and some of the purples are escapes, too, but not all.

I'll be getting some more images this weekend, and then I think it'll be nearly over.

Great pics guys!! I have a huge variety of flowers and flowering vines I've planted in my yard over the years and was so impressed by the beauty of these Lupines that I went out and purchased three of them and one is getting ready to bloom.