• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My rare macro attempts

Here are a couple of macro attempts with my only macro lens, the 70-300 Quantaray tele-macro 1:2 which is about as bad a lens as one could own.

First, I have no idea what either of these are. Jonny, Steve, someone will be able to identify. The wind was blowing about 35 mph so getting anything to stand still was darn near impossible. Some CA is visible, did these on my laptop so I didn't have Photoshop to remove it.

71904135-L.jpg

Not much definition in the highlights, trait of this lens.

71904156-L.jpg

Dbl....they both look fine to me.........I'm just rather new at this macro thing myself so I'm not splitting hairs here grin.gif........I'm no botanist but I think your first image is a "daisy fleabane".....second appears to be a "common yarrow"(maybe)....jonny grin.gif

Nice work, Dbl. Eliminating noisy backgrounds is a key to compelling macro photography, and you've done that very well here.

No. 1 is for sure a member of the vast and varied composite family, which includes daisies, fleabanes, and a dizzying array of other species. It does look like a daisy fleabane. I'm always wary of putting a solid ID on a composite family flower, just because there are so many species so close together.

No. 2 is not a yarrow. Flower head is similar, but the foliage is wrong. That being said, I don't know what it is, either. Is No. 2 a tree, shrub or a small plant, and was it in a wild setting or a garden?

Very nice Dbl. How low can you go? (that should be the title of a thread!). In other words, is it possible with typical macro lenses to get, lets say, a full crop of the bees head?

Yes it is possible, and most macro guys would indeed give you the head, the eye, you get the point. I'm no macro expert, but there are a few ways to increase beyond 1:1. A macro prime, macro zoom, extension tubes, screw-on magnifiers, extension bellows, and reversing ring, am I missing some? Pick your ease of use and cost and you're good to go.