• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where do the crappies go when the water warms?

Slyster

They will typically either run deep into the thick weeds, run the deeper weed line, or cruise the main-lake open water.

Summer can be one of the most difficult times to target crappies. When targeting crappies during the summer, I tend to focus more on the evening bite when they slide back up shallow to feed. It's usually a short window, but the action can be phenomenal!

This past weekend I found them shallow keying on new weed growth. 3'-4' deep in and around the new weeds. Mostly males in the 9" - 11" range. Another person on the same lake found some bigger fish from 11" - nearly 14" in 7'-9' of water...most likely the bigger females that tend to spawn in deeper water from what I understand. Depending on the lake you're on and the clarity, I'd look to 10' or less. It seems the water has hit that target temperature to promote spawning in the southcentral part of the state.

good luck!

Basscatcher, thats good to hear that they are spawning down there. I was on a lake northeast of st paul last night and there were a couple of crappies in shallow, but not much going on. I tried looking deep for suspended fish and didn't mark any. I could not figure out if they spawned already or not. Hopefully not, so I can go out again with these warm temps coming and find better numbers. The lake I was on is pretty clear. I didn't have a temp guage, but the water did not feel very warm. I did get a few small fish in 5-8 feet of water on the edge of weed growth, just not the numbers or size I am accustomed too.

I'd love to give you a concrete depth, or location, but in my honest experience, it really depends on the lake you're fishing.

Water clarity, weed growth, weather, boat traffic, and thermocline all play a significant role in fish location after the spawn.

I have fished Crappies in 4-10 feet of water with great success, even in mid-day, all the way through August.

Other lakes, I am jigging breaklines in 16-24 feet of water by the 3rd week of June.

And like Matt alluded to, time of day can also play a major factor in location and activity.

Crappies are opertunistic. They will slide up and down breaks everyday to feed if it's convienent for them.

Suppose I am not much help, but the truth be told; The Crappies can be anywhere at any time. But finding them can be half the fun.

Right now, I'd say the fish are staging. Crappies don't spawn until water temps hit roughly 65 degrees on the surface.

The big bite after ice-out is all about feeding. The shallow migration has little to do with spawning. In fact, most fish caught shallow after ice-out aren't even in prime spawning areas.

Expect the Crappes to be just outside the "baby grounds".

That would be 5-14 foot depth ranges on the 1st primary breakline or outside weed edge.

They may school up thickly and concentrate one prime area, like an inside turn or corner, or they may spread out on a flat.

Odds favor the males will be shallower then the females, and the females may even seem non-existant.

However, I should admit that some instances with extreme warm weather like this, the males will move into extremely shallow water right near the spawning habitat. That could be 1 foot of water in some instances.

Sometimes when the wind is low, they are easy to spot, as they will "sun" themselves with their backs sticking out of the water.

speaking of weather. have you guys seen the temps this weekend. 86 on sat. and 89 on sun. dang. i'll be bringing an extra shirt to switch out the sweat-drenched one.