• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pentax Guy (s)...

I'm still researching which camera to purchase. The Pentax sure seems like a deal. Didn't I hear one of you Pentax guys (is there more than one?) say that they use the same sensor, ect., as the Canon?? Talk me into it! laugh.gif

Sorry the lone Pentax guy has been so slow to respond but I have been shooting college baseball and softball for 11 out of the past 13 days, so haven't been around much.

I would love to talk you into a Pentax because it is one of the better values going right now, but you need to ask yourself a few questions.

What will be the primary use of the camera, wildlife, sports, general photo taking? Do you plan on adding another lens or two right away? Do you need a fast focusing camera (sports), one that is capable of high ISO shooting (low light)? Do you have lenses from a previous 35mm camera that can be used on your new camera?

I will quote what I wrote a month or so ago.

Quote:

The DL/DS/DS2 uses the same sensor as the Nikon D50/D70. The view finder is one of the largest, brightest available on a DSLR, and it uses AA batteries which I find very useful if needed in a pinch (I do use rechargeables).

Pentax lenses have long held a reputation as some of the sharpest around if you stay away from the consumer end glass, which is really true of any of the manufacturers. They have used the same mounting system since I don't know when. One of the reasons I went with Pentax is I had some older manual focus glass from the 1970's that I can still use on my camera.

Yes the Pentax is a good value for the money right now, but try to look at how you will be using the camera, look at the features you think you may want or need. Go to the store and put each camera in your hand and see how it feels, how the controls are layed out, the size of the body and how it fits your hand. Pentax makes a good product, as does Nikon, Canon, etc. they just have done a poor job of marketing their product.

So I won't try to "sell" you a Pentax, it may or may not be what you are looking for. If you can be a little more specific on what you want out of your camera, better advice can be given to help you choose.

If you're just going to buy the camera body and use it with the kit lens and the built-in flash and nothing else, then you're better off with one of the deluxe all-in-one available from many manufacturers.

Consider features other than just mega-pixels and frame rates. What about the viewfinder, size, weight, balance, and similar ergonomic factors. And the camera body is just one part of the SLR system. You need to look at the whole system to decide what is best. What lenses are available for your purposes and what sort of price/performance ratio do you get.

Selecting a consumer product for purchase is not a matter of "heart or mind;" it is an analysis of your needs and what product best satisfies those needs. If the Canon or Nikon is the best fit, then that is what you should get. But be sure you do thorough research and really understand the differences, and not simply rely on advertising copy and what a salesman tells you in a store. Read as much as you can on the subject in magazines and look at magazine and on-line reviews, and spend some time figuring out exactly what you need for the photos you want to create.

If you want to e-mail me I can send you a link to the roughly 2800 images I have posted on line with my camera. But keep in mind they could have been made just as well with any other camera available today. It just happens to work well for me.

Good luck and let any of us know how we can help.

Dan

[email protected]

Thanks for the replies folks. My primary use of the camera would be wildlife photos, so the intent is purchase one high quality zoom lense up to 300mm and a general all purpose lense (for now). My 35mm from the '80s is a Minolta so I doubt those lenses would fit anything on the Digital SLR market.

I would think, other than the ergonomic factor, that all three of the brands would be similar in features considering what I would be using it for.? Any ideas on high quality zooms up to 300mm?

Oh, and yes I have seen your images posted here and they are very good...rivaling an other I've seen posted.

Actually there are a lot of options for zooms to that range. "High quality" means, how much do you want to spend? You will be looking at starting prices of around $400 on up to around $6000 to get away from consumer grade glass. Something light and easy to carry or something you will be using some form of support(heavy)? Fast(f2.8 or f4.0 constant aperture, expensive) or a little slower(f4.0 to 5.6 variable, less expensive)? As you probably know the choices are many, you need to know what is important for you or trade offs you are willing to make to make a sound decision.

For the lower end of the price ($500) you can get a very reasonable lens that will take high quality shots. Pentax(if you are still thinking Pentax), Sigma, Tamron all make lenses in this range, they do vary in quality, so do your research. If you want to e-mail me I can give you a number of web sites that would point you in the right direction based on your specific needs, or start googling and you will come up with a number sites that will provide you with information.

Keep in mind that a 300mm will be on the short end of what you will want for wildlife. If you are going with this length you most likely will want a Tele converter. A good 1.4X will run you from $80 t0 $200 and cost you one f-stop with minimal loss of image quality. You can go to 2.0X but that will cost you 2 f-stops, image degradation, and some features, such as auto focus may not work.

As you can see the purchase of the camera is just the start, you will want a good tripod, camera bag, more memory cards, etc. It can go on and on. Don't let that scare you away, you can get away with the minimums, but as you start shooting more, and expecting more from your images, you will find that you want that next piece of equipment to help get you there. Oh, it is a slippery slope we travel on. grin.gif Good luck, I am sure you will have great fun with you new toy, and we demand photos!!!!

Dbl: thanks for the info! My research has led me to consider the Canan D20...a little more mp (8.x), coupled with a Sigma x-300mm. I can get the D20 for about $600 and the Sigma for about $500. I am still considering the new Pentax though...w/ kit lense for about $600 and then the Sigma. So both options about the same $, but the kit lense would be "extra" with the Pentax option. Now I need to go over to National and "try" them out in my hands. Ever heard of a tilt lense?

Quote:

My research has led me to consider the Canan D20...a little more mp (8.x), coupled with a Sigma x-300mm. I can get the D20 for about $600

I am sure you meant the Canon 20D. Wow, if you can buy a 20D for that money, let me know where, I would get one. I thought the body only sold for about $1200. Really if that is the price the Pentax DL is not even in the same league as the Canon 20D. That would be an easy decision. I'm sure Steve could chime in and tell you what a bargain that is.

Quote:

Ever heard of a tilt lense?

A tilt or shift lens is primarily used for architectural photography. If you take a photo of a building looking up you will notice the walls are not vertical. A tilt lens will allow you to have "straighten" the walls of the building. Very expensive lens made these days primarily by Canon and Nikon.

Dbl is right on the standard use of a tilt lens. It does have nice applications for close-up nature photography as well.

Canon isn't making more 20D cameras, since the 30D is an update of the 20D. There is no D20. There is, however, a D30, which is not at all the same as the 30D (You Canon dumbheads for allowing such confusion). The D30 is now considered a dinosaur, and came out several years ago. The 30D is brand new. Since it is an upgrade of the 20D, it should have been called the 20Dn to avoid confusion and more accurately reflect its status, but there's marketing slobs for you.

The sensor in the 30D is the same as the one in the 20D, so there's not difference in image qualty, though the 30D is guaranteed to 100,000 shutter actuations, has a larger image view on the camera back, allows a finer increment iso setting and has a couple other nice options.

I don't doubt you can find a new 20D for $600, but if it is brand new it likely would not be the 20D kit, but just the body itself. You'd want the kit, which will include a batttery, battery charger and a couple other cables you'll probably want. Many dealers, especially online, present bodies for very low prices believing consumers will assume it's the kit.

Now, if you can find a used but in excellent condition 20D kit for $600 with not too many shutter actuations on it (I was told by a Canon rep before I bought the 20D that it was in fact rated to 100,000 shutter actuations, and I've put 45,000 on mine in a year and half with absolutely no malfunctions) scoop it up.

You'll pay a bit more than twice that for a new 30D kit.

Yup, Steve, I was talking about the 20D. Online search was ~$600 for the body only. It looks like I should look at one with the kit...sounds logical. I saw a bright orange bird in the local wetland/park this weekend...would have been nice to have "captured" it. I didn't have time to ID it in the book this weekend.