• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PITBULL

troutmaster

Hey does anyone know if you can train a pitbull to hunt?

i've got one and he seems to like to tree squirrels but not sure if he actually smells them or just see's them.

but i would like to try and hunt coon with him. any suggestions?

I have run across guys with poodles, german shepards, pitbulls and boxers in the grouse woods. Every guy said its the best bird dog he's owned. The conversation usually starts, "It was the damdest thing, ...." All dogs started out as hunters, sometimes the instinct will just show up. I would start with some basic training, make it fun. Train it like they do drug dogs. When they find what your looking for they get a reward. I bet most dogs COULD hunt, most have good noses and the intelligence to figure it out. If I ever hunt with your pitbull, you get to take the bird out of his mouth though.

People often hunt over dogs that are not really bird dogs. The dog might somewhat work to flush a grouse once in a while just by stumbling somewhere near the grouse. But I dont think the dogs are finding the grouse by using sent or skill. If the dog knows the basic commands there shouldn't be a problem. But if you are out hunting with a untrained dog and a rabbit or deer runs by you better be ready to run after your dog. A pheasant would be more difficult for an untrained dog to flush because they will hold tight or run away from your dog before it even knows there was one there.