• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Training Book

Rip_Some_Lip

I was wondering what good dog training books you guys have used? I haven't had a puppy in 15 years and am struggling a little bit. I cant afford to send her anywhere so I thought I would buy a book on the subject. Thanks in advance for the replies.

I highly recommend looking at buying a book by Richard Wolters; Gun Dog, Water Dog, Game Dog. Any B&N book store should have one or all of them. You can "pre-read" the books and purchase the one for your situation. Wolter's has got it all covered, in a very simple context. Good luck with your new pup.

Let me take a stab at this one. 2 very good books for springers are HUP by James B. Spencer and The New Complete English Springer Spaniel by Julie Gasow and Edward K Roggenkamp III.

I think these are the staples for spaniel people.

I second the Richard A. Wolters. The Movies and the Books and great if you are just learning how to do it yourself or if you want to touch up on other things.

Jp

I'll second springerspeed's James Spencer recommendation. I used his book "Point!" with my first GSP and he makes things very easy to follow.

Contrary to many other guys, my personal opinion of Wolters's books is not that great. Then again, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool lab guy either, which makes me an outcast on two counts! HAH! shocked.gif

Before I get ripped for my comment...I do think each trainer/book has some good things to take away. As you progress with your new pup you will see what's working and what's not. Keep in mind, there is no one book that's written to fit the personality of YOUR PUP - it's your job to adapt and make sure you are connecting the dots as you train.

Good luck!

Blaze