• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Later season steelhead tactics

Hey Quickstrike. Some nice pics being posted. I have a few but still have the old film in the camera so you will have to wait. By the way... first time you posted your 30" you said it was 29.5"!!! Boy they get big as time passes!

I was wondering if you or anyone has had luck in the later parts of April on the Brule. Going to be up again and hitting it hard next weekend but not sure how the presentations have changed and what might be working.

River has cleared up a lot and not gotten any higher so I am guessing fishing will be tougher. I have had a great season so far and gotten quite a few legal fish this year. I want to hit a few later on now. So are the flies, worms, and whatever else working? I would love to know. Any luck with the spinners/small raps?

Thanks.

I'm going to the Brule Sat. I plan on using worms/wooly buggers/ live stones and spinners for the drop backs. Last year worms under the float accounted for several drop backs.

Mwal

Thanks mwal.

I also have had some luck with the prince nymph. Both bobber and the fly rod. worms still seemed to do well too so I thought I would continue with them and then go into the insect stuff. Not had much luck on spinners yet but was really wondering if now might be the time.

Quote:

Hey Quickstrike. Some nice pics being posted. I have a few but still have the old film in the camera so you will have to wait. By the way... first time you posted your 30" you said it was 29.5"!!! Boy they get big as time passes!

It was 29.5. This is the first year in while that I have not gotten a fish 30 or bigger but I have a week or so to go. I have been having better luck lately switching over from yarn and spawn to flies such as wooly buggers and stones. I might hit the brule tommorrow, but might also stick it out on the North Shore although fishing was very poor today. Any recent reports of any fresh fish being caught?

Fished The Brule Sat afternoon. Landed 3 small chrome hens 3lbs or so. Fished below weir. Only bites I had used night crawler and float plain hook no yarn. Tried yarn, spawn and hardware but no luck. No fish sighted no suckers either.

Mwal