• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A great day roughfishing!

I fished Saturday with my girlfriend and my dad, and we did very well. After we waded through a couple of anxious smallmouths, we caught around 25-30 fish in 2 hours. Mostly redhorse, with a sucker and a mirror carp thrown in. Here's a few pictures.

26918587904649hb.jpg

26918737404641yu.jpg

26918662904643vy.jpg

26918918804644ia.jpg

I was up at the inlaws friday night and we decided to go down and see what we could catch after everyone was done in the barn. Fished the Chippewa by Bruce WI and caught about 15-20 from 10pm-11:30pm. I never would have thought suckers bit in the cold water at night but just after the moon hit the tops of the trees it was game on. I caught a couple they call stone rollers but always thought they were a hogsucker??? anyone catch many of these??? The rest were red horse.

Hey RBF -

Hmmm... How big were these stonerollers and what did you catch them on? I've heard of people catching hogsuckers, but I've never heard of anyone catching stonerollers. My understanding was that stonerollers have a "scraper" inside their mouth on their lower jaw that they use to scrape off algae to eat, but maybe they eat other things too. Have any pics of these stoneroller/hogsuckers? How big were they?

Dave D.

Nice job. Those are some big shortheads. And mirror carp are pretty rare around here.

I've caught stonerollers, but stonerollers only get about 6 inches long and look like a chub. Hogsuckers look like this:

ag_hog2.jpg

They have a black ring around the snout.

Thanks. I had no idea what type of redhorse they were, so that is good to know. How do you ID it as a shortnose? We can catch them all day 2-5 pounds at that location. My dad said he did well yesterday and picked up a ~32 inch carp as well.

Yea i am rather confused on the types of redhorse also. I know that a father and son broke the golden and i think the river redhorse up on the rum on consecutive days last year. But personally i have no idea to tell them apart. Maybe some caught fish pictures would help me identify them more easily??

Even the DNR gets them confused. The ones with red tails are shortheads, rivers, and greaters. Shortheads have a small head and a tiny mouth, the other two have big heads and big mouths, and they are usually 4 pounds or bigger. A four pound shorthead is HUGE, a four pound river or greater is a little one, they can get up to 17 pounds. The ones with the gray tails are the silver and golden. Goldens are usually yellowish and have a concave dorsal fin, silvers are silvery with a convex (fan-shaped) dorsal. Goldens over three are rare, silvers are commonly five to seven pounds.

Did that shortnose caught last year hold up as the state record? I remember some debate about the true type that was caught. It was caught by a kid up in duluth last year i believe.