• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimming Problem!

mcmsek

I took my lab puppy swimming for the first time this weekend. She did fine the first day, then the second day she starting kicking fast almost lifting her legs out of the water and she wasnt moving. I almost thought I was going to have to go in after her. Is this something normal when puppies are learnign to swim? Is there anything I shoudl do, I felt bad for her because I think she was a little scared after it too!

dont know where your located, so I dont have any idea what the water temps are.

I have a 6month old GSP that I am getting ready to run in a natural ability test. Saturday I got him in the water for the first time ever. We had a blast and he wasnt afraid at all.

But yesturday our NAVHDA group had some practice and quite a few of the dogs wouldnt swim at all, even the older dogs that have swam before.

It may be too cold yet, but take your time and definately dont rush it or force your dog to do it. I think the key is to keeping it fun, and before you know it, the problem will getting them to get out of the water.

That is normal for a lot of pups and young dogs. When they get anxious about being in the water, they try to "think" what they are suppose to do, instead of just letting their instincs take over. I would also wait a bit longer as it is easier to acclimate young dogs in warmer water.

Find an area with a real gradual slope from the shoreline and work him slowly to start swimming. Coax him in by playing and/or throwing dummies. It helps give them more confidence if you go in with them. You can use waders if you wish or swim along with them. If they start to "climb the ladder", lift his back end up and support it to get him swimming level again. Swimming is a confidence thing for dogs. They all know how to do it, it's just proving to them that they can. Take it slow and don't expect too much per session and it won't be long till he'll break for every piece of water he sees.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for the tips. She is going in the water totally on her own with no coaxing. There are a lot of sticks floating in the water right now and every stick she sees she feels she has to go get! She was used to going in deep puddles this Spring. Now that the lakes are open she went right in thinking it was a puddle I think!

If she wants to go in on her own that's fine. I wouldn't however send her yourself or ask her to go in. The water temp is to cold yet. Don't force the issue I guess is what I'm saying, you don't want to start a water problem that would be similiar to being gun shy.

Professional trainers won't be putting their dogs in the water in MN for another 2-3 weeks at best.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Man, I remember when I first started taking my dog to my buddies pond. She would splash with her front paws and that would cause her to raise her head which would cause her to splash more which would cause her to... you get the picture. She would end up treading water and not be able to move. My buddy thought that it was very funny... I thought that I had the dumbest dog in the world and I was mad as he11. She eventually figured out what she was doing wrong and is now a very strong swimmer. N Joy your trials and trubulations... there will be a few. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

The young dogs in my experience and even some that are a bit older do not always use the hind end well so just swim vertically. Funny looking but not very productive. They will leard to float the hind with time though. One thing that can help, #1 let the water warm up a bit, #2 if you do get in the water and play around with the young dog you can lift them up a bit and float the hind end and then they "get " it and take off on their own. Funny to see and do but they will catch on naturally anyway.

My lab did the same thing when she first learned to swim. It was almost like she was trying to climb on top of the water. It took a few months, but she got the hang of it. There's not much you can do to help them though. Just be patient, and it'll come.

Good Times!!!