• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ultimate Panfish League - Open Water

Matt Johnson

East Rush might not be a bad idea for the weigh-in. Let's switch it to the East Rush public access now that I think about it. I'm also looking at a few other possibilies. But, for now, let's plan on meeting at the East Rush access in the morning and I'll let everyone know where to meet for the weigh-in. We'll just meet on the water in our boats out from the access somewhere in the morning for the start.

It's pretty laid-back, not a big event or anything, more intended for fun and to have a good time on the water.

I won't be checking live-wells or any of the that, I trust all of you.

I run a silver Crestliner FishHawk, and I'll be out from the East Rush access by around 6:45am or so, if not sooner...

There is also some spots still open if anyone is interested... www.ultimatepanfish.com

Should be a great day on the water!

Deitz, they are pretty much everywhere right now. Shallow, deep and in between. Good answer huh? The bigger ones I have gotten lately came from traditional Walleye spots. Bar edges and such.

Looking forward to this weekend!! There should be some pretty good catches.

Stupid UPL question.. I read through the rules.. but wanted to ask anyway... Is flyfishing rods and gear legal.. I know in a lot of bass tournaments we are cut off at 7feet 11" rods... STUPID RULE.. but a rule... So, long rods ok?

bring em! I sometimes use a 15 foot pole for extracting slabs from thick weeds. no rules against pole length. flyrod poppers could work well for them shallow gills.

actually, it might be illegal, too much fun... cool.gif

LOL... yes, they are perfectly fine... unless you plan to use them to catch big panfish, then in that case they are not allowed in the UPL grin.gif Just kidding, bring them along!

I'll be gone all day tomorrow so see everyone on Saturday!

Jack-Mike.. great job today.. man that was a MONSTER gill you had.. well you have 5 decent gills but that one was a horse!!!!

Please do give a small written seminar on how you found them.. I would love to learn more...

I found mostly small males in the shallows.. so I went deep and fished in about 12 feet the majority of the day. Cuaght a TON of fish.. including about 20 walleye.. the only bad part fo the day was allowing Matt and BDR to beat me by 1 oz!!!!!!! ARG!!!!!!!

Definitely a great day to be on the water!

Jack and Mike had both the largest gill and the largest crappie of the day which helped them clinch the 1st place finish! Congrats guys!

I didn't think it had a chance of being near the biggest gill after seeing a couple of the pics from two days ago, so we didn't take pics. we caught our fish just drifting over weedy flats pretty much straight across the lake from the landing.I was casting a black and green JRs stubgrub, slow retrieve, shakin the rod tip for more action and droping it into pockets in the heavy pondweed. sometimes we would see them hit, other times the line would just twitch a bit or would start feeling heavy. the gills were a little shallower than the crappies. for every one we kept we musta threw back 20. though we didnt find the real lunkers, all in all it was a good day of fishin'! grin.gif Good to meet you out there and hopefully we can get out again!

Just like Mike said--the fish were in the pondweed and they were all over the place. We thought we might find some bigger ones on the deep edge but just the opposite was true. Thanks for putting these contests on, Matt. Lots of fun and always nice to meet more of the guys from this site. Can someone point me to the pictures?