• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sportsman 500 EFI Expected gas mileage.

SomethingFishy*

It varies so much based on the terrain, speed and riding style of the rider. On an average paced trail ride without a lot of hot rodding I think you should expect to be at least 20 MPG or above.

Dave, might have a better handle on it.....

I've gone 95 miles before hitting reserve (5.25 gallon tank) on a carbed 500. I would expect better from EFI but, my 700 EFI's pretty thristy and I haven't calculated MPG on it yet. And, like Mac stated, depends on riding style also.

Thank you, I don't anticipate my riding style to be very aggressive, I will use it mostly for Ice season and the occasional trail ride, I am still on my first tank of gas and it seems to be dropping fairly fast, or is this just the new machine break in process?

A new machine is usually "tight" and will use more fuel for a while, but probably the reason its going through gas quick is that you and possibly others are going for short little test jaunts and very little extended rides where everything gets a chance to warm up and loosen up. The only time you are gonna get any kind of good mileage is going on an extended run or at more constant speeds for a while.

As others have said.. the mileage will vary greatly depending on the type of riding your doing. I dont have a polaris and wouldnt know what to expect. I know my 450 yamaha(kodiak) has no problem hitting 100 miles before hitting the reserve in easy trail riding. Get playing around and that changes real quick.

I know my gas guage sucks.. it works as well as it ever has, but it stays full a while, then drops fast.. 30 miles after it shows empty I hit the reserve.. and at that time I have .8 gallons left of a 3.2 gallon tank(if memory serves correctly). I guess I would rather show it low on gas too early rahter than too late.. saves walking.