• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last photos for a little while

It wasn't the greatest morning with all of the haze at the pond, and the need for high ISO's, but it was still great to be there. Unfortunately, again my next couple of weeks will be so busy that I will be lucky to even pick up my camera. Anyways, I just wanted to share the few really good ones from today...

d2x00187qg.jpg

d2x009011ec.jpg

d2x01785tl.jpg

d2x00968fx.jpg

Thanks for looking, see ya in a bit!

Tom W

esox:

I know you asked Tom, but iso is pretty routine, so I'll chime in and he still can answer when he gets back on the board.

The general rule for iso is to keep is as low as possible while still getting the effect you want. For freezing motion, a faster shutter speed is needed, and it generally demands a higher iso to accomplish that. However, tracking birds in flight, while it takes a bit of practice to get it right, generally still allows you to use lower iso settings of 100 to 200 if you have the hang of it, because the bird's head, neck and body aren't moving much within the frame as you keep pace with the bird's movement, only the wings producing a lot of movement.

But, that being said, when you're out there shooting in flat light like Tom was, it's much better to keep your iso a little higher, like 400. You never know what type of shot you're going to need to get, and it's much better to get a sharp shot at a higher iso than have all your shots soft or blurry. These days, the sensors on the top brand DSLR handle iso400 and 800 with very good digital noise control, and if there's some noise, there are a handful of very good programs specifically designed to get rid of it and maintain the image's sharpness.