• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for tripod recommendations

You can't go wrong with a Bogen. Typically the heads sell separately from the actual tripod. Bogen makes excellent tripods. You'll just need to look at the different features of the heads and choose accordingly. Their heads are real smooth.

Bogen/Manfrotto is great. I use them. Figure out how much your biggest lens/camera/flash combination weighs, then check the weight capacity ratings on tripods. If the combo weighs 8 pounds, look for a tripod that handles 10, just to get a little overkill. I use a Manfrotto with an integral ball head the lists for about $100 for my medium-weight stuff. You can't go light on a tripod. If it shakes much at all, you might as well go hand-held.

is the ball head sort of like a ram mount wink.gif

seriously though, i have a cheap tripod that i have lost the mounting plate to attach to the camera and am thinking about getting a new tripod. Would you recommend one with the ball head?

A ball head, if you get a sturdy one, is the best way to go for general shooting. With the flick of a knob you can rotate your camera to nearly any angle you want, a vastly faster operation than with standard tripods.

I used a Slik ultralight before upgrading. Weighed almost nothing, and was great for light camera gear when it wasn't windy. Add a bit of weight or a bit of wind, and it was a downer. It's great for a point-and-shoot or lightweight SLR. A good pointer for light tripods is to try to use them with the center post all the way down. The higher the post is elevated, the more rickety the whole works becomes.

Zelek,

Tripods are a vital part of long lens photography. Unless you are doing really low light photography with short lenses, you will be better served by good handholding techniques. The problem with tripods is #1 camera store salesman, and #2 their efficiency to cost ratio.

#1 is simply this, camera salesman (anywhere I have ever dealt with) will only sell you just what you ask for. They don't want you buying the best right off the bat, because then they don't make the additional sales later down the road when you figure out that you didn't get what you needed the first time. So they offer you $10.00 for the tripod that you paid $150 for and talk you into--that's right--the $199.00 model that six months later when you buy a different lens or body, you figure out wasn't the right one either. I'm not mad at anyone, nor am I trying to be down on the local camera store, I am just telling you to know what your goals are and buy appropriately--buyer beware.

#2 Tripods--YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Remember I said that, I have been through three different tripods in my photography quest. The first one--was a mistake, the second was a good upgrade and then I bought a new camera and suddenly it was not enough. The third was really nice and served me well until a couple of weeks ago, when I finally bought the mother of all tripods. I had a Bogen 3036 and it supported 21 lbs. However, even though it was aluminum, it was very heavy and got very cold in the winter to carry around.

Buy the biggest tripod that you are willing to afford--Tripods are used for only one thing--Stability, if you are willing to compromise on the tripod due to cost, then I go back to my original statement--proper technique will go a long way. I am no expert, but if take a look at some of my older posts--85% of them are handheld. Anything under 500mm's I handhold with confidence. Don't short yourself.

Polar--I had the bogen Grip ball head, and used it for years. They are great up to about 7 lbs, any more than that and they start to slip. I used mine as well with a zip tie around the handle. When I didn't want it locked, I would push the zip tie up over the handle and then I had a full range ball head. I still use it on my monopod. You'll love it if you get it.

Tom W

Thanks for the replies folks. Hey...here's another quick question before I purchase one.

Do you prefer a "ball head" over the "three way head" and if so, why?? I was leaning toward the Bogen 3021 Pro tripod with a 3030 Pan Tilt Head w/ quick release plate but figured I'd check with you guys first. Hmmm...now I see the 484RC2 Mini Ballhead has a single control for 360 pan and 90 tilt...and not all the knobs??

This is basically for the wife as she's just getting interested in photography again. We're both rookies here. Oh...and she's got the Canon Rebel XT and is mostly into portraits etc. If I get into this, I'd buy a big zoom lens and get into the woods like many of you. smile.gif Thanks!

The XT is a great portrait camera. With the 8 Mp sensor you'll get sharp big enlargements, and the XT's only defect for nature photography (it's slowness to focus and low frame-per-second rate) isn't an issue with portraits.

I prefer ball heads over pan/tilt heads because it's so much simpler to position the camera quickly. All you do is loosen the head, move the camera, tighten the head. Done! That speed is a big deal when you're shooting wildlife. Make sure the tripod is rated for all the weight of camera body and big glass before buying it. The 3021 should be able to handle most anything you'll put on it. Your ballhead should be equally sturdy.